





Jarrett and I celebrated our five-year wedding anniversary this past Friday -- we didn't really do anything too special on the day itself since our celebration trip was really the weekend prior at Zydeco Moon and we knew we were headed to a night at a bed and breakfast in Boone, North Carolina. Regardless, it was still a special occasion and a big accomplishment. I can't believe it's been five years. And to think we've known each other for almost twelve. Crazy... and wonderful.
It's kind of fun to celebrate our anniversary the day before Cinco de Mayo, seeing as how I adore Mexican food. We managed to eat Mexican twice on Saturday, and popped into two parties that evening, one of which was a Cinco de Mayo/birthday party for Adria, so I made Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes, which turned out to be absolutely scrumptious (thanks again for the recipe, Heather!). Thankfully I was able to keep myself from enjoying too much of the cerveza and Jose Cuervo since we had to get up early Sunday morning to head to my sister-in-law's college graduation from Appalachian State University (both my and Jarrett's alma mater) in Boone the next morning. Bethany was fortunate to have much of her family there to celebrate the big day, which made it that much more memorable. We all watched her walk and then went to Makoto's, a Japanese steakhouse and Bethany's former employer, for an awesome show put on by our chef, Huy (pronounced like "Wee"), and a delicious meal. We hung out at Bethany's apartment for a bit afterward and then Jarrett and I headed on to Mast Farm Inn, where we stayed for the night. Earlier, we stopped by a fabulous wine and beer shop -- the place you'd stop at while in college only on the most special occasions (you know, to buy your friend the normally intangible Sammy Smith's on their birthday, etc.). It's really a great shop, though -- and to prove it, we found one lone bottle of the tastiest wine we enjoyed while in Italy. The poor owner was a bit sad to see it go, but there was no way we could pass it up. It's now on our wine rack... I don't know when we'll bring ourselves to drink it away. We bought another bottle of Pinot Noir to enjoy that evening, and we sat in a little window seat in our room and reminisced about our Boone memories for the rest of the evening. We enjoyed the very yummy breakfast the next morning and then headed back into the heart of Boone, visited some shops, and met Bethany for lunch before we had to head out of town.
It was quite sad to leave the mountains. I can't tell you how much I LOVED going to App. State. But it's not just the school that pulls at my heartstrings -- it's Boone itself; it's the mountains; it's Joshua, the town bum who sells the stories he writes on the streets; it's the hippies (who I tried to join back in the day); it's the mountain air, the spring water, the drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway on a sunny day; it's the farmland; it's Grandfather Mountain; it's the culture. I just love it... and I could go on and on.
Oh, I forgot to mention the fleet of Porsches that Jarrett drooled over while at Mast Farm Inn. The owner started a club called Club Ferdinand. Basically you can buy into the club and drive Porsches throughout the year. You can also rent a handful of them on a 24-hour basis, which we nearly talked ourselves into doing. Of course, I think Jarrett and I have different ideas when it comes to which car we'd like to rent, and what exactly we'd like to do with that car. If you rent one for the day, the inn will pack you a nice picnic lunch, so I picture us renting the cute vintage car, driving along the parkway with the top down, and stopping to enjoy our lunch among the wildflowers. I'm sure Jarrett's version of that story involves renting the most powerful car they'll give him, whipping around corners and testing the car's agility and prowess at speed to the extent of his ability, and, thus, making me lose that lunch right out the window.
No comments:
Post a Comment