In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Quote of the Day





I didn’t sleep well last night, and I blame that for, first, the crappy bed and, second, the fact that I felt like it was the night before an exam – except that instead of fearing I’d oversleep and miss a test, I was afraid I was going to sleep too late and miss the scheduled wine tasting at Patricia Green Cellars. It was finally time to get up, and we ventured downstairs to the bountiful continental breakfast spread (heh) and then headed off to meet Patty Green. Out of all the wineries we visited today (and I will list them all in a moment), this was my favorite. Jim Anderson actually led the tasting, but Patty was in the background working away at their acclaimed (and sold out!) Sauvignon Blanc. They are a very laid back winery... small... dogs roaming around... beers in hand... In fact, the quote of the day came from an exchange of conversation that went somewhat like this:

Patty Green, walking by, drinking a beer, seeing Jarrett look her way: "Yeah, I'm drinking a beer."

Jarrett: "That's cool. I drink a lot of beer too."

Patty: Smiles. Let's out a slight chuckle.

Jim (drum roll please...): "It takes a lot of beer to make a really good wine."

I'll remember that. Forever. The other wineries we visited are as follows:


Torri Mor was a favorite four years ago, and continues to hold it's rating as one of the top three thus far. Archery Summit was a surprise... we ran into the guy who gave us the tasting at The Four Graces yesterday afternoon while at Erath, and he recommended we go there. It was kind of a last minute decision... they were about to close... but it was some of the best wine we had all day.

We're coming home with quite a bit of wine. And more will come later in shipments. We're sacrificing in the area of accomodations for a reason. Who needs a comfortable bed? Just give me good wine.
Tonight we had a slightly more relaxed dinner at the Dundee Bistro, which is owned by those who run the Ponzi vineyard. Most -- if not all -- of the food is grown locally and is served in season. Everything was very tasty, and night is ending well with a recap of the Tour de France back in the hotel room. Tomorrow it's off to Salem to visit an old friend and go to a couple of wineries, and then to Sutherlin to stay with my grandma and her husband, Larry, for a few days.

No comments: