In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Friday, January 25, 2008

Home Sweet Home

I'm finally back home... for at least a couple of days... and it feels nice. Of course, what was the first thing I had scheduled for myself when I did get home yesterday? A drive to Athens with Kate to see Brandi Carlile and the Indigo Girls in concert. Yes, I'm insane, but we had a lot of fun, so it was worth it. The show was fabulous. And though we missed a bit of Brandi at the beginning because of a very slow kitchen at the restaurant we went to beforehand, we didn't miss her performance of "The Story," and she came back on stage a decent amount to sing/play with the Indigo Girls. It was a very broken-down set -- Brandi had the twins with her and a cellist, and the Indigo Girls had one other woman with them, who played the keyboard and the accordion.

The restaurant? We went to Farm 255, which is a restaurant tied to Full Moon Farms, a seven-acre organic/biodynamic farm in Athens. They serve what they reap -- local, seasonal, and sustainable food. It seems like a brilliant concept, and I was very excited to try it out, but the kitchen staff need some pointers, to say the least. Kate and I sat at the bar to eat because there was a wait on a table, so we were able to witness the open kitchen's slowness firsthand. We started with some Humboldt cheese, which was very nice, and both had the burger, which ended up being pretty good, but the wait was a bit painful. Perhaps it wouldn't have seemed quite so bad if we didn't have a concert to get to, but it could still definitely use improvement. I plan on giving them a second chance at some point -- maybe they'll work out the kinks.

No comments: