Let me start with the furniture project Jarrett finished much earlier last year -- our fabulous nightstand. Because I had to use flash in some of the photos, they really do not do justice to just how beautiful the wood and its finish really are.
Some of my friends and I have been on a canning kick since late summer. I gave a lot of the goods away as Christmas gifts, but this is what is left in my stores:
I canned pickled okra, dilled green beans, pumpkin chips, sweet potato butter, pickled garlic, pickled beets, cabernet sauvignon jelly, cranberry chutney, and Chrismas pepper jelly. I have really enjoyed doing it, and hope to keep it up in the coming year.
I have also actually completed a couple of knitting projects recently. I knitted this owl sweater for Elsa (sans eyes... cannot yet decide whether to sew on all the eyes).
And a scarf for my sister-in-law, Bethany, for her birthday.
I am getting close to finishing a cardigan sweater for Elsa, but am allowing my fear of seaming to get the better of me. I either need to get over it and start in on the sewing or hire someone to do the finishing work for me; otherwise, Elsa is sure to outgrow it before I even finish!
But the grandest project (and not just in size) of late is Elsa's new bookcase. It looks awesome in her room, and is proving great for storage. Jarrett did a fantastic job on it. I did not get photos throughout the entire process, but here is what I did manage to capture.















7 comments:
holy smokes!!! I am FLOORED by y'all's talent. That owl sweater is sooooo beautiful! It looks really complicated and intimdates me to death. Even the scarf, which is something I think would technically be easier, is on par with my brian trying to comprehend the universe. things start fizzling in there, in an impressed-by-something-pretty sort of way.
I can't wait to see the furniture pieces in person! What is the best tool for those curved edges (under the drawer and at the bottom of the shelves)? A jig saw? Free-hand router? Neither would turn out that perfectly if I tried it... Anyway, awesome, seamless, beautiful job! I've never made anything stain grade-- my projects all require caulk in the seams, and therefore, paint.
Where did you get the wood-stamp thing for Jarrett's initials? One day I will do something worth stamping! (Since I hear branding children is frowned upon...)
and I just noticed the wine bottle lamp! Adorable!
Ahh.. thanks for the compliments. I can't wait till you get to see them in person.
To answer your question, the arc in the nightstand was roughed out with a chisel and hammer and then smoothed with a spoke shave because the grain in the oak prevented using a router without fearing for my fingers. The arcs on the bottom of the bookshelves were cut with a jig saw.
And that was Jarrett speaking in that last comment, not me. I don't have a clue about woodworking. You amaze me. :)
Beautiful, all of it!
Oh my gosh ... where to begin? The canning ... love it! The sweater ... just amazing. Amazing! And the night stand and book shelf ... people can really just make stuff like that? Gorgeous!
I'm moving in with you!
You all are so talented! Love all the projects! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment