In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Forty Weeks... and Still Pregnant

Contractions were nine to eleven minutes apart before I went to bed last night. Then I retired around midnight and slept until contractions woke me up around 3:30 a.m. They still were not super strong, but they were coming more like five to seven minutes apart, so I started getting excited, thinking this would definitely be the day. Then I went back to bed around 6:00 a.m., and everything seemed to pretty much come to a halt. Bummer. I just got back from another four-mile loop into Decatur with Jarrett and Elsa, thinking that might help things out, but we will see. I also probably need to try to get a nap in just in case labor does start. We realized on the way back home that if she is born today, she would be born on 9/10/11. Kind of cool. Tomorrow, and she will be a 9/11 baby. I guess I am okay with that, though maybe not my first choice.

I did not make it this far with Elsa, so did not have a forty-week post, but according to BabyCenter, it is hard to say for sure how big our baby will be, but the average newborn weighs about seven-and-a-half pounds (a small pumpkin) and is about 20 inches long. Her skull bones are not yet fused, which allows them to overlap a bit if it is a snug fit through the birth canal during labor. This so-called "molding" is the reason our baby's noggin may look a little conehead-ish after birth. But, of course, that is completely normal and temporary.

I am definitely ready at this point. Maybe a little tired and in need of a nap, but otherwise it is a definite waiting game. Twiddling of fingers. And it is not that I feel that bad or anything. I am just ready to meet her already!

1 comment:

Natalia said...

Definitely rest as much as possible, although it will be a fast delivery I think. Can't wait to hear about it. God is with you all the way!