In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

When I Grow Up

I have been meaning to post this little tidbit for a few weeks now, and keep forgetting.

Elsa often talks about becoming a mommy when she grows up. And she is going to have a baby in her belly. And then she is going to go to the hospital. And then the baby is going to pop right out of her tummy, just like she and Avie did out of mine.

During a car ride not too long ago, we were having this conversation -- but this time there was a little twist at the end...

"And THEN I am going to be big like you, and I am going to be a Christi!"

Love it.

And since then (though she has toyed with it here and there for months now), she has taken to calling me "Christi," which I am not entirely fond of. I go to pick her up at Gabriela's, and as soon as she spots me, it is "Chriiiissstiiiii!!!" Hmm... I thought I was "Mommy."

I do correct her sometimes by saying, "Yes, that is my name, but you call me 'Mommy.'" But I am not being incredibly firm, as I know she is just discovering that Jarrett and I (she will call him "Jarrett" too) actually have names, and she is figuring out the connection between us being Mommy and Daddy, but also "Christi" and "Jarrett."

Regardless, it is funny -- to us, and to everyone in earshot.

No comments: