In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Friday, August 16, 2013

Aveline is Twenty-Three Months

One month from today, we will be celebrating Aveline's second birthday. But what are we doing today? Today we are enjoying (very unheard of in Atlanta, in August) temperatures in the low 60s. We had a playdate with Alison and Shelly and their kids (minus Finnan and Elsa), where Avie had much fun tending to Jack and his drink, coloring and sharing snacks with Rory, hanging with the big boys, and hopping from one mama's lap or side to the other. This girl gets around.

We tried out potty training earlier in the month, and we actually had some success -- she peed in the potty several times, and never missed pooping in the potty. And all was fine and good if we were at home and she didn't have anything on from the waist down. But we made a trip to the doctor with just a pair of cloth training pants on, and she peed on the way there without so much as a word about it, and when I went to change her out of the wet clothes, she kept asking "What, Mama?," like she didn't even know what had happened. On the first day of training, it seemed if she started to pee, she would go a little, but then get upset and stop herself and I could get her to the potty, but after day one, that didn't seem to be the case. It was like it was just going unnoticed. I could get her there for number two because she would get upset when she knew it was coming, and I had more time to get her to the potty. We rewarded her with chocolate, which she liked, but that didn't even seem to be enough. But it was really the episode in the car that got me, as I realized that I don't think she is quite there with her communication. It seems she might not be able to tell me when she actually needs to go. That, and she was asking for a diaper. So I am going to hold off for just a bit and then try it again.

After our trip up to North Carolina at the end of last month, we came back home with a toddler bed that Kate was looking to get rid of. So Avie has now been sleeping in her little, white bed for about three weeks, pretty much without a hitch! Before gaining the toddler bed, we attempted to just put her crib mattress on the floor because she kept getting her knee/thigh stuck between the rungs of the crib, sometimes to the point that I was not sure I was going to be able to get it out. But the night before my birthday, she rolled off the mattress two times and woke up crying, and I decided to put her back in the crib because of my desire to sleep. But now, with the bed, she is doing great. It helps that it is against the wall and also has a short rail coming off of the headboard, so she is much less likely to fall out. She loves it. When we can afford it, we will likely go ahead and get another twin mattress and move Elsa up to the top bunk and let Avie have the bottom twin bed, but for now, this setup is perfect.





Avie seems to be verbalizing a few more colors besides pink now. She definitely knows black and purple, and perhaps even a couple of others. Jarrett was commenting yesterday that it seems her speech has really picked up even in the past week. She is stringing more three- and four-letter phrases together. And her favorite thing to say as of late is "Found it!," when she has found something she was looking for.

She still adores babies (dolls and, especially, the real thing). And Mommy Shirt. And Hop-Hop. She loves her rain boots, and is always wanting to put them on and strut her stuff—"Boots on! Boots on!"

I like how she, completely on her own accord, matched up the grandpa doll and grandma doll to Grandpa and Grandma in the photo book. :)

Avie and Baby, sitting in the camera bag. This was also completely her idea.

When she jumps, she actually gets both feet off the ground now and gets some air. And she is dying to ride Elsa's bike, which is obviously way too big for her. But we have plans for that for her birthday. She is a pro at the playground, going from one thing to the next, climbing up and down stairs, sliding down slides without help. And the swings. She still adores the swings. I still worry about the tall staircase at home, but she seems to go up without much of a problem. It's more the coming down I'm concerned about. But she is learning to scoot down from step to step on her bottom, so maybe I won't have to worry as much soon enough.

Monday is Aveline's first day at Miss Gabriela's, but I am not concerned one bit. It has helped that she has already attended a day here and there. And I have to pry her away each and every time we are there dropping off or picking up Elsa. More than anything else, I will probably just continue to mourn the fact that we only get one day for her per week. But Gabriela told me that she will likely have space in the afternoons if I ever want to drop her later in the day for a few hours here and there.

Avie is a joy. Pure and simple. Happy twenty-three months, little girl!

No comments: