In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Saturday, November 02, 2013

Pumpkin Patch—October 11

A definite benefit to having Jarrett working at home the past year is that occasionally he can take off and do something fun with the rest of us. The Friday before the girls and I left for Oregon, we all took off to the mountains to continue the tradition of going to Burt's Farm. I think was the first time Jarrett was able to join us, and it started out great.

Elsa said that morning that her stomach hurt, but then seemed to perk up, so we went ahead with plans. We drove the one-and-a-half to two hours to the pumpkin patch, checked out all the pumpkins, took the obligatory photos with the massive pumpkins, and then found the ticket booth for the hay ride. No sooner did we sign the receipt for the hay ride tickets, then Elsa turned white as a ghost (lips and all) and said she felt really sick. She had absolutely no desire to go on the hay ride that she was so excited about just minutes before. So I bought her some fresh apple cider, and she and Daddy sat while Avie and I went on the hay ride.

Avie loved the ride. She was skeptical at first, and even wanted off when we first got on, but as soon as we started going, she was sold. And she adored the talking pumpkins you see along the way. By the end of the ride, she was ready to go again. And that worked out perfectly since we still had two tickets to use. So it was Jarrett's turn to take her. And just as he and Avie were walking off toward the entrance to the ride, Elsa threw up. Somehow, while holding her, I managed to avoid getting vomit on either of us, and was able to get her over a trash can. Poor thing. Jarrett and Avie went ahead and got on the ride, and I took Elsa to the car, turned on the air conditioning, and let her pass out in her car seat. She slept while they rode, and then while I ran pack in and picked up some pumpkins.

Traffic was terrible coming home, and I was sad about Elsa missing out, so there were certainly thoughts that the trip was all for naught. But, at the same time, it was so nice to have the entire family together and have that time, so for that I am thankful.














1 comment:

Jenny said...

ah, poor Elsa.
the pictures are adorable.
I deeply believe if everyone in the world wore overalls all the time, all of humanity's problems would be solved. :-)