
I traveled to High Point, North Carolina, this weekend for what was to be my ten-year high school reunion. However, because of lack of response, the reunion was cancelled -- and only a week or two before the event was to take place. My good friends, Kate and Valerie, and I had already planned for a girls' day on Saturday, so Kate and I decided to make the drive anyway (she from DC, me from Atlanta [of course] -- Val lives in Winston-Salem). A small group of our high school classmates were still planning to meet at a bar in downtown Greensboro Saturday evening, so we figured we could go check that out -- but we made dinner reservations at another restaurant so as to have an escape route. :)
So I drove straight to NC after work on Friday, dropped Merckx off with my parents as I passed through Charlotte (Jarrett flew to DC to hang out -- er, drink excessively -- with Tim), and then met up with Kate at her parents' house in High Point. Saturday morning we headed to Val's and hung out with her and her family (her husband, Casey, and two boys, Coulson [almost three years old] and Charlie [about three months old]). Her sons are absolutely adorable.
The three of us then headed off to Seagrove, North Carolina, land of what seems to be infinite potteries. We basically drove around as one would do to visit wineries, becoming inebriated, completely immersed in beautiful pieces of this handmade art. I LOVE pottery, so I was in heaven, but I was able to contain myself and only purchased a few small pieces, including a syrup warmer, egg separater, tea bag holder, and a coffee mug. Kate, Val, and I had a lovely time driving around on the country roads, the sun shining, the fall colors blazing. It was a perfect day for pottery hunting.
We then made another stop by Val's house to check on things, as Charlie isn't so keen on bottles and, thus, wasn't so keen on going to sleep hungry. They seemed like angels upon our arrival, though. Casey had to deal with all of the tears beforehand. :)
The nonreunion was interesting. We arrived at the bar about 30 minutes after the get-together was to start, and saw a sign instructing us to head upstairs, so the three of us somewhat reluctantly trudged up the flight of stairs to find many people, though none of which appeared to be our old classmates. Each of us tried to sneak peeks out into the crowd, still trying to act cool, of course, though cringing inside, wondering if we would even recognize anyone if they were there. We each ordered a glass of wine and took seats at the bar when I caught a glimpse of balloons in green, black, and white -- our school colors. There at the table sat a lone couple, and I recognized the girl, so we quickly traded whispers as to what to do, deciding it would only be fair to go over and at least say hello. Well, that hello turned into about an hour-and-fifteen minutes of chatting with Natalie and her husband. About five minutes before we needed to leave for dinner, two other girls showed up, one of which I had classes with. Then, on our way out, we noticed another group of about ten classmates hanging around the bar downstairs. Val, recognizing one of them to be her first boyfriend (!), let them know there were others upstairs. In a way it was kind of sad to leave after FINALLY finding people we recognized, but a nice, relaxing dinner sounded a bit more tempting. As we drove off, I saw one other guy crossing the street -- a guy Val went to prom with -- so, she saw a fair share of her old flings. :)
Dinner was nice. The whole day was fabulous. We'll do it again next year... maybe this time without the old classmates (although there is talk of an 11-year reunion -- 10-year, take 2).
No comments:
Post a Comment