In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Friday, November 09, 2007

CG Camping


Last Friday after work, Jarrett, Merckx, and I drove south to F.D. Roosevelt State Park, which is near Pine Mountain and Warm Springs. We met up with seven other people from our Community Group and camped overnight in the campground there. The Hollands rescued us from our typical camping fare -- dehydrated meals -- and brought a big pot of wonderful chili to share with everyone. We ate the delicious concoction, seated around the campfire, and chatted until late in the evening, I'm sure making those in the sites close to us not so happy campers. But we had fun. I slept just about like the rocks we were sleeping on (thank goodness for Thermarests!), which was lovely.

The next morning we ate our oatmeal, yogurt (if you're car camping, you might as well bring a cooler), and my homemade pumpkin bread (of course), and then Seth, Jill, Jarrett, and I (and our two dogs) went for a seven-mile hike on the Pine Mountain Trail. It was one of the most perfect hikes I've ever been on -- the weather was perfect (sunny, cool -- but not too cool), the fall colors and scenery were beautiful, and -- best of all -- no blisters! The dogs had a heyday running ahead, but making sure they didn't run out of sight. Merckx was wearing his little blue backpack, but I didn't have my camera with me on the hike, so I didn't get any photos. We're hoping to get out again in a few weeks, though, if it doesn't get too cold, so maybe then.

As for this weekend, my friend, Kate, arrived last night, and we're headed up to the cabin at Zydeco Moon in North Carolina. We're stopping in Charlotte to pick up our other good friend, Valerie (Kate, Val, and I all went to high school together), and then we'll probably stop for lunch in Boone (ahh... Boone...) before driving the rest of the way up to the cabin. I'm very much looking forward to this respite from the everyday hectic life Jarrett and I have been leading lately. It should be heaven.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds like you had a good weekend sis!