In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Saturday, July 05, 2008

Fourth of July







Jarrett and I had a nice time over at Tim and Kate's yesterday at a cook out in celebration of the Fourth. Atticus and Alison, Natali and Chris, and Todd and Carey were all there with their respective little ones, and it was great getting a chance to catch up with everyone... and of course quite exciting trying to keep up with the activity of two toddlers and a crawler.

There was a smorgasbord of good food -- jerk chicken (by our own Jamaican chef, Tim), burgers, guacamole, Mexican dip, potato salad, lots of yummy fruit... the list goes on. They also made various mixed drinks, of which I could not partake, but they did look really good. And I didn't completely miss out, as Kate made me an awesome passion fruit sorbet drink (I should have taken a picture... it was really pretty) and Tim made me one of my favorite non-alchoholic pregnancy drinks -- ginger ale and fresh-squeezed lime juice. I contributed homemade strawberry ice cream, which ended up being a fairly labor-intensive project that I had to start the evening before because you start out by making a from-scratch custard, and also cook the berries down... and there is a lot of "cooling to room temperature" and then extensive chilling in the fridge. I churned it all yesterday morning in the before-never-used electric ice cream maker we received as a wedding gift over six years ago. The ice cream tasted pretty darn good, but it didn't freeze so well -- it was maybe just a bit harder than your typical soft-serve.

As for the rest of the weekend, we plan on taking it fairly easy, although Jarrett is working as much as possible toward finishing up his handmade tabletop, which we are going to use to replace the current tabletop serving as our coffee table in the living room. Neither one of us can wait to see the finished (literally, as he is now at the finishing stage) product.

No comments: