In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Friday, July 25, 2008

My 30th

I had a lovely 30th birthday yesterday, despite the fact that I'm still struggling with this cold and felt even worse as yesterday evening progressed. Frustrating. But my birthday started out nice, with breakfast at home with my husband (which we try to do most mornings before work) and a gift bag on the dining table... one that contained a gift certificate to Natural Body for an hour-long pregnancy massage and an hour-long facial. Needless to say, I'm very excited -- I had a pregnancy massage earlier on, but am much in need of one at this stage, and I've never had a facial, so I'm sure I will bask in the relaxation of both. I've scheduled the massage for this afternoon (let's just hope I don't have an unrelenting runny nose), but am saving the facial for another day.

The surprises didn't end once we headed to work. My mom called and left me a "birthday song" message on my cell phone, and my thoughtful coworkers surprised me with birthday donuts, fruit, and juice. Jarrett and I had to pick up the GTI from the dealership over lunch, so we decided to take advantage of being together over the lunch hour and ate at an Italian place near my company's swing space (we also took advantage of the fact that this was the last day I'd be working in this office and, thus, would be closer to this restaurant since my company is making the big move back in to our old -- but newly renovated -- building).

I got off work early -- at 4:00 p.m. -- because the office was closing down in preparation for the move, and I went home, read for a bit, and then fell asleep on the couch. I woke up to Jarrett coming home and placing a small box on my hip. In it was a beautiful beaded necklace, which matches some amber earrings he previously gave me one Christmas. I wore the necklace and earrings that night to dinner at Sage. I originally asked for a Mexican dinner outing, but my sweet husband ended up coming up with the idea of going to Sage, located on Decatur Square, as this was the restaurant he took me to when I first visited Decatur. We were broken up at the time, but he was in the mode of convincing me to move down here from North Carolina. This first outing to Sage marked the beginning of his pursuit of marriage to me. So I thought going there sounded like a wonderful idea... and it turned out to be wonderful.

I did start feeling more under the weather once home, and went to bed fairly miserable, but the day was a lot of fun -- a day that has helped ease me into this new and exciting decade of my life.

3 comments:

Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said...

I'm sorry you didn't feel well, but I'm glad you had a nice birthday. :)

Your husband's idea really WAS sweet. Yay!

WILL said...

SIS I WISHED YOU HAPPY BIRTHDAY AFTER YOU TOLD ME IT WAS YOUR BIRTHDAY WHEN I CALLED YOU LOL

trmills said...

Happy Birthday, Christi! So glad you had a good day...and this is an exciting new decade ahead!