Turkey, of course
My mom's delicious stuffing
Cranberry sauce (a recipe my friend, Erin, posted to her blog... but we forgot to put it on the table... one of the day's mishaps... we did enjoy some with the leftovers today, though)
Mashed red potatoes with sour cream and green onion
Mashed sweet potatoes
Maple-glazed carrots
Limas and corn (a Southern tradition, but I'm not a true Southern and, thus, this is not perfected)
Cheddar-sage biscuits
Pumpkin cheesecake with bourbon whipped cream (ever since I made this a few years ago, pumpkin pie has disappeared from my family's menu)
Despite my freakouts and stressed-out episodes, the dinner ended up being okay, and it was nice to be able to spend it with those of our family members who could make it down.
And, yes, I did subject my nearly 12-week-old to the After-Thanksgiving Shopping Extravaganza. I couldn't help it. It's a womanly tradition in our family. I was inducted as a wee little one, and so it shall be for Elsa. Back in the day when we lived in Oregon, four generations of us girls would go out and literally shop til' we dropped. My mom, mother-in-law, Elsa, and I actually got a much later start than my mom and I usually do -- I think we ended up leaving the house around 7:45 a.m., and we were back before 2:00 p.m. So -- don't worry -- we were easy on her.

2 comments:
I usually shop on Black Friday although our "three generations of women shopping" occurs on the day after Xmas. I found something really cool this year. The yarn shop near me had really nice yarn on sale for 40% and 50% off. I wonder if all yarn shops do that? If so, next year I may have to do a yarn shop crawl. :)
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the cranberry sauce! We must talk soon so that we can trade notes on hosting our first big family thankgiving. We hosted both moms this year too. You're definitely brave for cooking your first turkey and hosting weekend guests! I've cooked at least 8 turkeys and I was still spazzing out over the pressure of having my mother and mother-in-law present!
Post a Comment