I met Amy and Michael at the door, and Amy had a beautiful potted plant (gerbera daisies) for me. We all greeted each other, and I gave Amy a brief hug. Both Amy and Michael seemed like very kind people, and we enjoyed good conversation and a yummy dinner of grilled pork tenderloin, pineapple salsa, coleslaw, sauteed squash, watermelon (can you tell we were trying to use a decent amount of produce from our CSA box?), and some tasty wine. Amy talked to me some about her feelings about the entire situation, as well as some about her background, and I did the same. She gave me another very sentimental gift, which she said was given to her by her mother on the day she was told about me (when she was 22, I believe). It is a gold charm bracelet with a little baby carriage charm hanging off of it. Apparently when my birth mother was pregnant with me, the women she worked with were unaware that she was not planning on keeping the baby and, thus, they threw a baby shower for her and gave her this bracelet. Amy feels like it belongs to me.
We don't look much alike, as apparently most of Amy's features come from her father, but we seem to have a decent amount in common in terms of our interests and personalities. We both like to write; we both share a love of the outdoors; we are both rather shy right at the start, though still somewhat enjoy the spotlight; and I am sure the list probably goes on.
So where do we go from here? I am sure we are probably both asking ourselves that question. And I am equally sure that neither of us probably really know the answer. I think it is fabulous that we were able to meet in person and get some of the apprehension of doing so out of the way, and I think we just kind of play the rest by ear. I am sure we will continue to keep in touch somewhat over Facebook and e-mail, and the other pieces of this crazy puzzle will eventually just fall and land where they may.


1 comment:
I'm glad you got to meet your half sister. She seems lovely. :)
These stories of meeting your birth mother and now your half sister are so personal. While I know this blog was chiefly started for your family, I'm honored that I'm having the opportunity to go along for the ride.
Post a Comment