In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
Lantern Walk
Gabriela's methods and practices -- the Waldorf ideal in general, really -- always come off as very appealing to me. Waldorf schools embrace the quiet simplicities of life. Nature, light, textures, simple toys, imagination, peace -- these are all at the center of the essence of Waldorf. My friend, Shelly, and I were talking about how their parenting techniques are so appealing, and both of us agreed that it is so easy to want to jump at putting all of the ideas into practice, but it is so much easier to then get busy and forget all about it just days later.
I try. I've tried to simplify Elsa's surroundings by putting only a limited number of books and toys out at once and really cutting down (if not almost eliminating) the number of toys that talk or sing or flash crazy lights. Since we do not have a lot of storage space inside our little house, I have created somewhat of a toy library in bins out in our shed. Just yesterday I went out and switched out her books and some of her toys. I do not allow her to watch much television or take over the iPad too often. I've started trying to let her stand on a chair next to me in the kitchen and help out with the preparation of meals. I have also started trying to remember to light a candle on the table at mealtime. We sing a lot of songs, dance, and try to spend a fair amount of time outdoors. All of this is an attempt to keep things interesting and stimulating for Elsa, but not overwhelm her. And most of these ideas come from a wonderful book, Simplicity Parenting.
When I drop off or pick up Elsa from Gabriela's playgroup, I am usually reminded of the simple pleasures of childhood, and always leave a little more refreshed and inspired (and sometimes feeling a little guilty, I admit). Gabriela seems to work wonders in getting the children to eat healthy food, engage in imaginative play, participate in simple crafts, and listen during storytime. She even disciplines (can I even call it that?) with what seems the most ease and gracefulness. So when I go home and get frustrated with Elsa for not listening to me or throwing her toys or tossing around the just-folded laundry, I try to take a deep breath and think, "What would Gabriela do?" Or at least I try. Sometimes it works, sometimes I am just as frustrated. But I'd like to think it does help some.
If you have not noticed from the blog by now, Gabriela enjoys hosting festivals. And I enjoy going to them, although I always go into each gathering with this grand ideal of how things will play out, how enchanted Elsa will be with the goings-on, and how full of giggles and smiles our time together will be. And then I usually get a good slap in the face by the reality that is Elsa. This past Sunday evening was no different. Gabriela hosted a lantern walk at her home. All the children worked on making paper lanterns throughout the week in playgroup, and then Gabriela added the finishing touches. Parents and other attendees were to bring lanterns of their own, and I volunteered to make some apple cider.
Things started out fairly well. We all stood around and enjoyed cider before the walk. Elsa started out her usual, timid self, but then soon became enthralled with the stone stairs out front and slowly became more and more hyper (the lack of an afternoon nap helped this process along) as she went up and down, up and down. I knew we were likely in trouble when it was time to start walking and I had trouble corralling Elsa to ready her with her lantern. But then the flutists started playing a tune, and those who knew the words started singing, as we walked the illuminated path through the woods in Gabriela's backyard.
Elsa was quiet most of the way, holding my hand as we somewhat clumsily traipsed over the uneven terrain. The moon was full, the music was peaceful, and all seemed so nice. That is, until we reached about the last quarter of the walk. Then Elsa insisted on walking by herself ("Elsa do it. Elsa do it."). She would then fall and I would help her back up and try to keep hold of her hand, and then she would scream and cry at the top of her lungs because she wanted to do it herself. So much for the peacefulness. We finally got to the fire that was set up in a pit in the main yard, where everyone was gathering to hear a story told by Gabriela. Not too far into the story, Elsa started yelling something about the fire, and it was so loud that I felt the need to remove her from the scene. I tried to get her quieted down and we slowly returned. She was quiet for awhile and even sat on Gabriela's lap for a song or two, but then proceeded with the yelling again. I think most people found some humor in it (I heard giggles that evening and comments from parents to me about it the next day), but all I could seem to find was complete embarrassment and frustration. So what would Gabriela do? Something that I can't seem to figure out. Something that I continue to learn on a daily basis. The one thing I have definitely learned from being a parent is that your child teaches you just as much as you try to teach them. And patience and calmness are some big ideas that my little one is trying to instill within me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Amazingly put, Christi.
what a beautiful post! gabriella sounds delightful-you are super fabulous yourself. so, so good to see you, jarrett and sweet elsa this weekend!
Finally I see a picture of Gabriela! I just looked at Elsa's wish list and noticed the storybook bible. It is a beautiful book. I just read the story of creation to Lucas. Next comes the snake, then the ark.
Post a Comment