I am thirty-two years old, I have been married going on nine years, and I have a two-year-old. I have been out of college for over a decade. Recently, I have even found a few gray hairs. Face it, I am getting older. But I sure don't feel like I am a day over twenty-one, and, if I can help it, I hope to feel that way for years to come.
Saturday was a good day. Saturday made me feel youthful again. Jarrett's brother, Stephen, and a friend of his were in town for the weekend, and after a leisurely breakfast at home, the three guys took over Elsa duty for me while I ran out and picked up Kate for an afternoon around Downtown Decatur together. It was nice to just spend some time alone with my friend (the woman I have been friends with for over seventeen years now!) -- we knitted while getting pedicures at the local spa, tried on dress after dress at a Decatur boutique, sidled up to the bar for lunch at our favorite taqueria, and stopped in to browse the yarn selection at the knitting shop.
Later that evening, the babysitter arrived, and all of us met up with Kate and Tim to make our way downtown to The Tabernacle (in my opinion the best venue for an Atlanta show) to see The Black Crowes in concert. This was the second time Jarrett and I had seen them at The Tabernacle, and the bar was set high, as the last show was amazing. The Crowes, once again, did not disappoint. The three-hour, two-set evening was chock full of fantastic music. This band is truly rock at its greatest, and Chris Robinson is the ultimate rock star. It was so fun to don the cowboy boots, go out with friends, and sing and scream and dance the night away. Sure, I didn't just forget I was a mom (I texted the babysitter a couple times to make sure everything was okay... it was) or truly think I was twenty again (I was surrounded by plenty of folks much older than myself -- The Crowes aren't getting any younger, themselves, you know) or lose all sense of responsibility. But it is always a nice reminder that just because we've matured and continue to (gracefully) age, the fun does not have to end. I can go out and be a silly rock fan for as long as I want, and my friends will be right there with me.
1 comment:
There is nothing silly about being a rock fan.
Post a Comment