So, here I am, at the halfway point (as of this past Saturday). Crazy! At twenty weeks, according to BabyCenter, Baby Helms weighs about ten-and-a-half ounces now, is around six-and-a-half inches long from head to bottom, and about ten inches from head to heel (the length of a banana). (For the first 20 weeks, when a baby's legs are curled up against its torso and hard to measure, measurements are taken from the top of its head to its bottom -- the "crown to rump" measurement. After 20 weeks, it is measured from head to toe.) The baby is swallowing more these days, which is good practice for its digestive system. It is also producing meconium, a black, sticky byproduct of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in the baby's bowels, and will be present in its first soiled diaper (oh, yes, those lovely first couple of diapers...).
Things continue to go well, and I definitely feel the need to wear maternity clothes most of the time these days. I think I can still fit into one of my pairs of regular pants, probably due to the fact that they have such a low rise and are slightly big to begin with. The dress I wore to church yesterday really seemed to accentuate the belly, and I felt rather huge, but today, back in a t-shirt, I feel a little more normal.
It is fun to continue to feel the baby move around here and there, and it was going so crazy Friday night, Jarrett was actually able to feel it kick from the outside for the first time. We were playing some music on the iPad and singing some, so perhaps it was the beat of the music or maybe it loves -- or really dislikes -- our singing voices.
This week, Elsa is suddenly claiming she is going to have a little brother, so I don't know what is going on in that little head of hers. As the weeks progress, I hope to get her a little more involved in baby-centered things to maybe help her really understand what is in store for our family. I bought a book awhile back that she and I are to fill out together, describing Elsa as a baby and kind of going through what to expect with the coming of a sibling, so I should get started on that soon. There are some other changes in store for her, as we hope to get her a "big girl" bed fairly soon after finding out the sex of the new little one.
1 comment:
Christi, I find it hilarious that you're wearing maternity clothes "most of the time" at 20 weeks! I think I was nearing the "when are you due?" question being posited frequently by that point. So glad things are going well, and that it was a joyful Easter for you all.
Also, I would love for you to fill us in on your favorite area restaurants so we can make the most of our culinary opportunities while we're in Atlanta!
Post a Comment