In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Big Girl Bed

Elsa's bed arrived last Tuesday. I think Jarrett and I originally thought we might somewhat take our time finding a mattress and setting the thing up. But that was before its pieces and parts started taking over our entire house. Instead, we found ourselves at a local mattress store Wednesday evening, drove home with a twin mattress strapped to the top of our wagon, and proceeded to assemble said bed until it was ready for Dear Elsa, a little past her usual bedtime. Elsa and I had gone to pick out her sheets earlier in the day, and much to my surprise she chose a set that has absolutely no purple in the design whatsoever. They do, however, have very many, very pink birdhouses. She is in love with them. But only for laying upon. She is still not thrilled with being covered up, so her top sheet and lavender quilt stay shoved to the foot of the bed most of the time.

That first night we just set up the one bed out of the set of bunk beds, and we used the inflatable bolster to keep her from falling out, as at that point we were not sure that the top bunk's rails were going to work on the bottom. Elsa sat in her bed, very excitedly, while I read to her that evening, and she only got out of bed two or three times (I am having trouble remembering exactly at this point), and slept fine through the night -- and even slept later the next morning than she had been in the crib!



A nap the next afternoon proved to be a no-go. With it being daylight and with her newfound freedom of being able to get in and out of bed, it was impossible for her to figure out how to wind down and relax. I eventually just gave up, figuring she would just be more tired when we put her to bed that night. And I was right -- she did not get out of bed once that evening, and slept splendidly. That second evening, Jarrett and I decided to go ahead and set up the top bunk too, as Jarrett had the brilliant idea that he could stain a piece of plywood and lay it over the slats on the top bed so that we could store things up there. And that way we would not have to store the spare bed out in the shed or in the attic. And the rails do work pretty well on the bottom bunk, so they are now in place as well. Jarrett has already cut a piece of plywood to size and has stained it, but we are just letting it off-gas a bit before bringing it into the house. Oh -- and the ladder is staying in hiding for the several years until we actually need to use it.




Naps have continued to be a challenge, though I am happy to report that she is actually asleep as I type this afternoon for the first nap since the bed has been in place. I cannot tell you more emphatically how much I truly needed this today, for so many reasons, but mainly so I can get some things done around here. Going from three-hour naps to nothing leaves quite a bit to be desired. I had to lay in there and struggle with her for a bit this afternoon, but I think she was so tired that it really did not take her too terribly long to fall asleep. I know she needs the rest. That, my friend, is shining through like no other truth. And I need the break.

The nighttime routine has been somewhat of a challenge, but it is not too bad. She is coming out of her room several times, and we have to escort her back in, sometimes threatening her to put on the child-proof doorknob cover (the "lock"). She seems quite appalled with the idea of having that on her doorknob, so that seems to work at last resort. I kind of hate threatening her with something she seems almost scared of, but hey...

On my wishlist now is the Tot Clock, which has been reported to work wonders with keeping kids in their rooms (and in bed) with its changing colors, letting kids know when it is bedtime and when it is okay to get up. I am not certain it will work for Elsa, but she is fascinated with clocks, so there might be a chance.

Overall, I really am happy that she has made the progression to her big bed. Yes, it has certainly been trying at times and has caused some bad attitudes around this house, but I know deep down that it is all a phase. This too shall pass. And she seems to have no desire to get back in the crib. I think she asked once, early on, to do so, but ever since then wants nothing to do with it. It is for "baby sister" now.

2 comments:

vintch said...

so sweet! i'm sure that transition is a big one, and elsa is handling it with such grace!

Jillian said...

the tot clock sounds genius! I never had problems with the overnight hours but always had to set timers for naptimes. this might be something we'll check into for Lydia--we'll be making that transition with her soon. The highchair just got hauled away today!