Oh, I love my child. I especially love the cute, sometimes crazy, things that come out of her mouth. One of my favorites over the past few months is her label for coins -- "piggy banks." "Mommy, can I please have some piggy banks, please." Who can ignore two "pleases" in one sentence? Give the girl some pennies! Which she will then happily plop through the slot of her... "piggy bank."
But then come the slightly more embarrassing comments. I remember when she was quite a bit younger, one morning as we strolled the aisles of the grocery store, she started addressing any woman who looked to be over the age of 50 as "Grandma." I tried to kind of just ignore it and hope no one was offended. Today I did somewhat the same when we were standing in the checkout line and she said to the older woman behind us, "Hi there, Grandfather." And then to the woman who was scanning our groceries as well: "Hi Grandfather." But does she say this to the more appropriate older gentleman who is bagging our groceries? The man who could actually be her grandfather? No. He is "the man with the tattoo." Fitting, yes, because he happened to notice Elsa's fading tattoo of a dolphin on her forearm and then proceeded to show Elsa that he, too, had a tattoo on his arm.
But there was just something to that older woman who was standing behind us at the checkout counter because we met again outside after I had placed the groceries in the trunk. The woman was parked next to us, and Elsa once again (and several times over) said to her: "Hello, Grandfather. How have you been?" Who knows. I do not even know where she is getting the more formal word "grandfather." But thankfully the poor woman just smiled and giggled the softest, kindest little laugh.
6 comments:
so funny-- and I know what you mean about trying to pretend like you didn't hear it... the other day we were in the store, and Josephine noticed a young lady wearing admittedly tiny shorts and a camisole-like top, and she quickly announced to me "Her wear swimsuit!" I was totally hoping no one else could understand her josephonetics...
I can perfectly imagine Elsa saying these things. I love your child too :)
So sweet. Thanks for sharing.
Ha:) this is adorable. those sentences are so complex and formal! i bet they are super cute coming from sweet elsa:)
It reminds me when Elsa was sharing with an elderly lady, on the boat back from Fort Sumter. When we were about to leave the boat, she turned to the lady and said "it was so nice to meet you".
haha- that is hilarious- Elsa is a character!
Post a Comment