As I mentioned in the previous post, my mom was down here helping me out last week. She was here for four
nights, two of which Jarrett was away on a business retreat, so it was
especially nice that she was able to be here during that time. We split
our time running around and doing things and "lazing" around the house.
My
mom arrived on Tuesday evening, and on Wednesday Elsa went to her
playgroup while my mom, Aveline, and I went to my two-week post-partum
visit with the midwife. I saw Anjli, which was great since she was who
ended up actually delivering Avie. She ooed and ahhed over the baby, and
we basically just chatted about how things were going with me, how
things were going with Avie and Elsa, and what birth control plans we
were mulling over. As my mom said after the appointment, it seemed Anjli
was willing to stay and talk with me for as long as I wanted/needed,
which is a great feeling to have when it comes to medical professionals.
I will go back in a couple of weeks for my six-week appointment, at
which time I will actually be examined to make sure everything is
healing well, my uterus is going back to the proper size, etc. After the
appointment, we ran a few errands and grabbed lunch out before heading
back to Gabriela's to pick up Elsa.
Elsa played hookie
from playgroup on Thursday, and we met up with Kate and James and all
went to the aquarium for the morning. My mom and I had gone together
once before fairly soon after its grand opening, and the crowds were
outrageous. This time she was able to get closer to the exhibits,
although maybe had to move through quicker than she would had she not
been helping in keeping up with Elsa! That evening, my mom took over
Elsa bedtime duty and let me head out for a girls' night over at Kate's
house. I took Avie, so I was not completely child-free, but it was still
so nice just to get out for a bit and hang out with some of the girls.
On
Friday we made the trip to the pumpkin patch, and then late Saturday
morning my mom headed back home... with Elsa! In the middle of the night Friday/Saturday, when I was up with both Aveline and
Elsa, I had the brilliant thought that maybe Elsa could go home with my
mom for just one night and then Jarrett's dad and Susan could pick her
up on their way down here on Sunday. My mom was totally for it when I
mentioned it to her the next morning, and Bill and Susan were nice
enough to go with the plan to meet my parents on Sunday. And, best of
all, my mom decided to surprise my dad. He had no clue until my mom
arrived home and told him she had a surprise for him in the backseat. He
was delighted! And so was Elsa. She even got to see Uncle Billy Sunday
morning! And she was introduced to her new sleeping option at my
parents' house -- a little tent that looks like a house, which fits over
an air mattress. Apparently she was thrilled with it.
It was so nice to my mom here, and I
know Elsa appreciated all the time she had to play with her grandma.
Thanks, Mom!
This past Sunday, we had the pleasure of
welcoming Jarrett's dad and Susan. They were here until yesterday
morning, and were also a huge help. Jarrett's dad fulfilled a couple of
chores that had been on our to-do list for some time -- installing a
chain on our front door so Elsa can no longer escape (another story I
should probably blog about at some point) and hanging a wall hanging my
grandmother made above the changing table (Avie is already totally
enthralled with it during diaper changes). Susan helped with a lot of
the meals, which was very nice. And Elsa had two more playmates around.
They took a walk in the drizzle and collected leaves, walked over to the
park and played hide-and-seek and "I'm going to get you," and spent the
length of many verses of "Humpty Dumpty" in the backyard. I also really
lucked out and got a really wonderful massage from Jarrett's dad. It
was incredibly relaxing, and I am fairly certain I even dozed off for a
small amount of time while on the table. It was great to be able to
spend time with them both.
Now, the past couple of
days, I am trying to find some sort of a routine again in our daily
lives. So far, so good. Things might look a little messy at this point,
but we are all getting dressed, fed, delivered to where we need to go,
and loved on as much as possible. I am not saying that it is incredibly
easy -- having this second child has certainly been a huge adjustment
for us all, not to mention all of the other stressors we are dealing
with these days, but we are making it. And I know things will only get
better... and easier.




No comments:
Post a Comment