In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The Greensboro Ballet

Elsa and Aveline took their first ballet class at The Greensboro Ballet on Monday afternoon. This was Avie's first-ever dance class, and she seemed to enjoy it, but I could not see her at all during the class (I was stuck in the hall, and there were no windows into her classroom), which was a bummer.



This was a change for Elsa. She did attend a summer (Nutcracker-themed) camp there over the summer, and really loved it, but she was still very hesitant to switch from taking the dance class she was used to from last school year, at Tumblebees (also where Avie took gymnastics). However, the reason I even had the idea to switch is because the class at Tumblebees involved ballet, tap, and jazz, and Elsa really seems to be most interested in ballet. Also, to ever have a chance to perform in the Nutcracker, The Greensboro Ballet is the place to be. Top onto that the fact that I was able to get Avie and Elsa in their respective classes at the same time and on the same day, I was sold. Elsa, perhaps not so much, although I am hoping it will grow on her. She is just often so resistant to change (hmm...perhaps a bit like her mama).

I have heard that The Greensboro Ballet can be strict, especially as skill level goes up, but I figure if it gets to be too much and Elsa is not enjoying it, we will quit. But it is worth the try at this point.

Elsa's friend, Mae, is also taking the class with Elsa, and because her parents are out of town this week, I also took her to the first class. The three of them were so cute in their little leotards!

Elsa and Mae are the two on the far right.

They spotted me! And struck a pose.


Elsa and Mae's report from the class was that they liked it for the most part, but there were too many rules. When I asked them what the rules were, the only one they could come up with was that they are not supposed to lean or hang on the bar. We shall see how things progress...

No comments: