Elsa started her third week of first grade this morning, and Aveline is into her second week of preschool (three-year-old class). They both started the year with flying colors.
Elsa was so excited to start first grade, and she marched right in to both the Meet and Greet and her first morning of school with a sense of comfort and pride that just makes me so thrilled for her. Her teacher this year is Mrs. Drawbaugh. She seems maybe somewhat introverted, but warm, and we have heard nothing but fantastic things about her. Being on the outside, and with it still being very early in the school year, I feel like I am still trying to get a real read on her, but I am expecting great things. Elsa is also lucky to have Mrs. Hairston as an assistant teacher in her classroom. Mrs. Hairston is a riot—she is warm, kind, loving, funny. And she is a hugger. Elsa thrives with a hugger in the classroom (last year it was the assistant teacher as well, Mrs. Nykamp). And, what more? Elsa found out last week that she shares her birthday with Mrs. Hairston!
First grade, albeit super exciting, has also initially brought some challenges. When I ask Elsa about the best part of her day/worst part of her day, the worst part continues to be that she has to sit at her desk all day. There are no more "centers," where they would get up and move around from one station to another in kindergarten. There is more desk work, it seems, and less movement. First grade also brings much more independence. The children are supposed to enter the classroom on their own and put all of their belongings in their lockers, etc. Elsa already had most of this down, and I think it is more me who is feeling the line being let out much more. There is such joyfulness and pride in seeing her spread her wings, but, of course, as a mother, there is also that twinge of sadness. There were no real tears on my part this year after drop-off on the first day of school, but I still felt a lump in my throat as I left her that morning. She is going to do great. Her reading skills just took off toward the end of the summer, and her handwriting and spelling just continue to improve. We could not be more proud of our girl.
As expected, Aveline also sprang into her new preschool classroom with much excitement. I could hardly get her to leave the Meet and Greet at her school. She was so enthralled with all of the new toys, and she was having so much fun playing with reacquainted friends from last year, specifically her two pals, Mallory and Summer. Meet and Greet was on a Thursday, and she could hardly wait to get back to school the following Monday. She got a new, pink backpack and a new lunchbox to match her bigger sister, so she felt like she was big stuff. Her teachers, Mrs. Fink and Mrs. Froneberger are super sweet, and I keep hearing from other moms (and other teachers at the preschool) that they do tons of fun and interesting things in their class, so I am excited to see what unfolds.
I have volunteered to be a room mom in both of the girls' classrooms, as I feel like it is a good way to get plugged in and be involved in the goings-on. I am currently tossing around the idea of going back to school to get a masters in library science (foreseeing a possible position as a media center specialist in a school), so I am also volunteering in the media center at Elsa's school one morning per week. Last Thursday was my first morning there, and I loved even the most mundane tasks that were thrown my way. I was able to help out with second graders, as they chose books to check out, as well as work on some reorganization of bookshelves. The media specialist, Mrs. Brophy, is a kind soul and, of course, mutual lover of books, so it is fun to be around her. She also told me I remind her of her niece. I did, however, also find out from her that one of the third grade teachers is also getting his masters in library science, so I am pretty sure he is already vying for her job whenever she decides to retire (as she is approaching that age).
I expect this to be a busy year, but one that I am sure will bring with it many rewards. Here's to a great one!











No comments:
Post a Comment