In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Welcome Back to the Real World

Wow. So I try to escape life as I know it for a couple of weeks, come back, and -- SMACK -- it hits me like a ton of bricks upon my return. As Jarrett wrote in the last entry, we had a fabulous trip. I don't think we would have changed anything, as each experience is now a treasured memory. But now here we are... back at home, back at work, back beside each and every little responsibility we swiftly ran away from two weeks ago.

Being back at work isn't so bad. I think it's the unexpected difficulty completely adjusting to the time change that is really aggravating that aspect of things; otherwise, work is work, and I just keep trying to plug away. Jarrett, on the other hand, has come back to quite the crappy week. Last night he had to attend a cocktail reception -- the beginning of one of his coworker's forums. Today he had to attend the forum all day, and he is now at dinner with his coworkers and meeting attendees. Tomorrow he will attend the remaining sessions until around lunchtime, and then has to run off to the airport to catch a flight to Florida for a meeting on Thursday. It's a short trip -- he'll be back late Thursday night -- but, still... what a way to be welcomed home.

Yesterday evening I got a call from my brother while trying to shop at the Farmer's Market in hopes of replenishing the empty refrigerator. He told me not to call home because Mom was quite upset and didn't want to talk to anybody. Of course my first thought was that somebody died, but I soon realized it had to do with my dad's job. He was laid off due to "downsizing." Whatever. Without getting into any details, Mr. Bossman can't seem to run a successful company. My dad works his butt off on a weekly basis (including most weekends) -- and has done so for about 12 years -- and this is the thanks he gets. The only sunny spot in the whole ordeal is that -- surprise, surprise -- my dad was never really happy there, so my only hope is that God has something bigger and better out there for him. Any prayers you feel like sending his way are definitely welcome.

So here we are, again dealing with the stresses of life. But, thankfully, there are also the daily joys that keep us going (the puppy dog kisses, the e-mails from friends, the sunny days and cool evenings, good music, love... life...). And all I really need to do is close my eyes and picture myself back out on the winding roads, traversing through the Tuscan countryside. Really, I can't complain. Life is excellent, and we are lucky to live in such a fabulous city as Decatur is.

Hopefully I will get all of the photos from the trip sorted out soon and will try to get them posted to Flickr or my Mac site or something. There are quite a few to go through, but since we replaced our computer on Sunday and also bought Aperture, I'm raring to go.

No comments: