In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Monday, January 19, 2009

A First -- Solid Food

Elsa had her first encounter with rice cereal on Saturday morning, and she actually did surprisingly well with it. I was expecting a much bigger mess -- you know, cereal in the hair, all over the face, spit out onto the floor and walls -- but she stayed relatively clean. I know... just wait for the spaghetti days. She had two helpings of cereal on Saturday and three yesterday, but I am actually putting a pause on the cereal eating today. It has been surprisingly overwhelming for me to fit in three cereal feedings on top of regular nursing, as well as administer her antifungal medication four times a day and her probiotics twice a day. The cereal also does not seem to be helping with the spitting up issue. So I've decided I am going to hold off for a least just a little while to make sure this yeast problems clears up, and then maybe reintroduce the cereal. Who knows, maybe I am being stupid since I already made the leap, but I am just thinking it might be better to conquer one thing at a time. Oh -- and if anyone has any advice on how to know how much to nurse combined with the start of solid food, I'd love to hear it. I feel like I've been overfeeding her the past couple of days. I kind of figure that she knows when she is full, though, and she's spitting a decent amount back up anyway.




No comments: