So this is the second day in a row that Elsa has gone without nursing one bit. We were down to the bedtime feeding, and as I did with dropping the pre-nap nursing session, we changed the entire bedtime routine. Instead of reading, bath, pjs, nursing, singing, bed, we changed the schedule to bath, pjs, nursing (in the living room instead of in her room in the rocking chair), reading, singing, bed. We were able to glide right into reading after putting on her pjs last night with no ill effect. I guess my baby is officially weaned at one week shy of 15 months!
Jarrett asked me this morning if I was going to miss nursing at all. I kind of chuckled at first and just said "Hmm...," as I scanned our history of nursing in my mind. I definitely do not think I had it the worst of all women who attempt to breastfeed, but I also know I did not have it the easiest. All of the pain that brought me to tears in the early weeks and months was enough to make anyone want to quit and switch to formula. And then there is the inconvenience of it all -- the pumping and trying to get your little one to accept a bottle from someone else if you wish to go out apart from them, all the planning involved if you are going out with the baby and might need to nurse in public (what do I want to wear, do I have my nursing cover, where is the best place to nurse, etc.), the hideous nursing bras and the awkwardness of attempting to wear them with "regular" clothes, wondering if nursing was causing Elsa's acid reflux and eczema issues (and the restricted diet that ensued), and generally just being so tied to the baby. But then there is the fact that I was so tied to my baby. I think I will miss that. Sometimes in those quiet nursing moments, it is nice to be so close. And then there is realizing that this is just another piece of evidence proving that Elsa is growing up. So, yes, I will miss it at least a little bit. And I will say it a million and one times over -- it was worth every second of agony and annoyance.
But, as I have mentioned before, Jarrett and I are also already planning our first trip out of here sans baby, so get ready grandparents!
Aside from weaning, Elsa also seems to be adjusting better to the childcare at the gym. We went again today, and while the trainer was kicking my butt, setting me up on the weight machines after my 20 minutes on the elliptical (my arms still feel like jello), Elsa was apparently doing just fine. I left her again with a snack, seated at the little table, and when I came back about an hour-and-a-half later, she was standing and holding onto that same table, watching the other kids play. Hopefully she wasn't at the table the entire time, but, hey, even if she was, she seemed happy and wasn't crying.
2 comments:
Hooray! That's great news, Christi!
Yay, Christi. You did good, girl! :)
Post a Comment