I love the idea of a thankful tree, and
really loved the look of
this idea I found in one of my latest issues of
Martha Stewart Living. Notice the nicely wool-wrapped branches, sporting the lovely various colors of fall. It is simple, with a touch of handicraftness. And it just really appeals to my eye.
So I purchased some wool and gathered fallen, barren branches from our yard and set to work the other afternoon... with Elsa's help. If you know me, you probably know (or will come to know soon enough) I have some perfectionist/OCD tendencies, so when Elsa started having at it with the wool, the inward cringing of my body became rather intense. While I was trying to gently pull at the wool and neatly wrap various branches, Elsa was fiercely pulling wads of wool from the colorful balls and joyously flitting them onto the branches, as if she were playing with a pouf of cotton candy. I was trying intensely to hold back correcting her in any way, and it was proving to be rather difficult. But then my dear, sweet little one said, "Mommy! It is a
truffula tree!" If you have read or seen
The Lorax, an image will likely immediately pop into your head.
And when those words came out of her mouth, my heart just melted, and all the perfectionism relating to this project just drifted away.
How right you are, Sweet Girl! It is a truffula tree indeed. Your imagination is so big and wonderful. And I love that you are able to express this in such an artful way.
Of course, then she decided to go nuts and started making
Thneeds.
Elsa does seem to understand the significance of this being a
thankful tree as well, however, and has already hung two ornaments stating what she is thankful for: (1) toys and (2) her friends.
When Jarrett came home that evening, he pronounced it a masterpiece. So, here you have it --
our thankful tree. Eat your heart out, Martha.
2 comments:
You took the words out of my mouth- it is a masterpiece!
Christi (and Elsa!), it is beautiful. I have never heard of a thankfulness tree, but I love it. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment