Aveline turned three years old last Tuesday. I suppose that means that all her babyness is officially fading away, although I am still grasping tightly to those crease lines on her thighs and wrists and those dimples in her elbows and knuckles.
To celebrate her day, her classmates and teachers apparently sang "Happy Birthday" to her at school, and then they all proceeded to practice holding up three fingers. Avie had already been practicing for days, telling everyone she met: "I am almost three (holding her index finger down with her thumb so that her last three fingers are standing). But right now I am still two (holding up her index and middle fingers)." After I picked Avie up from school, we met Uncle Stephen at a house he was looking at (and now has a contract on to buy!), and then I took her to Jason's Deli for lunch and an ice cream cone. That evening, I made homemade spaghetti and meatballs, which is not exactly her favorite meal, but close enough to pizza, and I knew we were going to order pizzas for her party on Saturday. For dessert, I made gluten-free brownies, and we had vanilla gelato to go along with them. I put three candles in the pan of brownies, and we sang "Happy Birthday" to her again. After dessert, we let her open up her gifts from the three of us—a three-wheeled scooter and gloves, knee pads, and elbow pads from Mommy and Daddy, and a book from Elsa. I also got her a fairy garden kit, as I did for Elsa on her birthday, but we haven't received it in the mail yet.
Then the countdown began for her birthday party. She was so excited, but sadly was under the impression that her dear friend, Rory, was going to be there. We had to explain to her once again that we now live far away from Rory, so he probably would not be able to come. But that put the fire under me to actually try to have a little friend or two there for her, when originally I was just planning on inviting family. Thankfully, Caroline from Aveline's class was able to make it, as was Piper, who recently turned four and goes to the church we have been attending.
The Pink Pinwheels and Pizza party was a lot of fun. Avie's two requests had been pink and cupcakes with pink frosting, so I threw in the pinwheels just for fun. Unfortunately, about two hours before her party started this past Saturday, Avie started saying she was really cold. She also seemed rather clingy and whiny, so I took her temperature. Sure enough, she had a low-grade fever. I warned parents, and we went ahead with things anyway. A dose of ibuprofen helped Avie get through the festivities without much of a hitch at all. It was not until post-opening presents that she started to fade, and the fever started to rise. I still have no idea what caused the fever, as she had no other symptoms, but it lasted through the night last night until this morning.
![]() |
| Looking so pleased as everyone sings "Happy Birthday" to her. |
![]() |
| It took her awhile to get all three candles blown out, but this girl did not give up! It was awesome. I really wish we had thought to get this on video. |
![]() |
| I did it! |
![]() |
| Clapping with the others for a job well done. |
![]() |
| "I love cupcakes." |
![]() |
| "TROLLEY!!!" (This was followed by a fantastic Trolley happy dance.) |
![]() |
| A HUGE Hop Hop!!! Thank you, Aunt Kate, Uncle Tim, James, and Robert! |
![]() |
| Little Hop Hop meets Big Hop Hop. |
It has been so nice to have most of the family present at both of our recent gatherings—this time Jonathan and Michelle were even able to make the trip down from Virginia. And Elsa had another friend from school, Mae, come over and play for about an hour and her mother stayed and hung out as well. So we are slowly meeting some new people and our house is really beginning to feel more like home.
At three, Aveline is certainly falling into the same emotional category as her sister at this age. The "do-it-myself" mentality is stronger than ever, and if you even think of accidentally doing something as atrocious as emptying her little potty into the toilet when she was planning to do it (thank you very much), you better watch out. She is testing boundaries and trying to figure out who makes the rules around here, and that is some rocky terrain to navigate—for both her and for her parents. What Avie does not have that Elsa did have to contend with at this age is a new sibling. Whew, I remember those early days with a newly-turned-three Elsa and a newborn being very emotionally draining and quite difficult. But look how far we have come! These sisters can be so sweet with each other. Yes, they can scratch each other and be at each others' throats as well, but you can more often find them playing together, which is so wonderful.
When Avie is not throwing three-year-old tantrums, she is most often the most loving little thing you can possibly imagine. She gives kisses and hugs and "I love yous" quite freely. She offers to share toys and food. And she can be very sympathetic with "It's okay" and "I can help you."
Avie is a fast runner, an awesome jumper, and can hang on bars and swing on swings. She jumped on her new scooter and got the hang of it quite quickly. She plays by herself fairly well, but certainly also enjoys company. And she has just started taking after her sister in the storytelling department, which has been helped out tremendously with the Daniel Tiger playset/figures/wooden Trolley that she received for her birthday. She will ask us to sit down and listen to her stories, as she moves all the little figures around.
This was the first year of doing an interview with Aveline, and the entire family got a few giggles out of her answers, as I interviewed her at the birthday dinner table last Tuesday.
The Three-Year Interview
1. What is your favorite color? Pink.
2. What is your favorite toy? Hop Hop and Mommy Shirt.
3. What is your favorite stuffed animal? Hop Hop.
4. What is your favorite thing to sleep with? Mommy Shirt.
5. What is your favorite fruit? Blueberries.
6. What is your favorite cereal? Pretzels.
7. What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast? Pancakes.
8. What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch? Cheese stick and apples.
9. What is your favorite dessert? Brownies and ice cream.
10. What is your favorite drink? Milk and water.
11. What do you want to eat for your birthday dinner? Ice cream.
12. What is your favorite animal? Elephants and rhinos.
13. What is your favorite book? Perfect Piggies.
14. What is your favorite song? "Jesus Loves Me."
15. What is your favorite game? Animal puzzle where you open the doors.
16. What is your favorite TV show? Dora the Explorer.
17. What is your favorite movie? Curious George.
18. What if your favorite thing to do outside? Play ball.
19. Who is your best friend? Rory is.
20. What do you want to be when you grow up? A baby.
Happy third birthday, Miss Aveline Muir. We love you to the moon and back!












































1 comment:
I love the series of portraits! A very happy birthday to Avie and we miss her!
Post a Comment