Aveline started school first this year, on Wednesday, August 20. She is going to The Greensboro Montessori School, and—get this—her main teacher's name is Gabriela. We had to incorporate Gabriela into Avie's preschooling somehow. Gabriela's assistant is Ingrid, also ironically a name we somewhat seriously considered before Aveline was born. Avie was so excited to start school, and loved getting into her new, first-day-of-school dress and shoes. The plan was to drop her off for just an hour or two, and then pick her back up, just so she could get used to the new setting and in case she was uneasy or upset at all the first day. I am fairly certain I could have left her the entire time (8:15 a.m.–noon). She was just the slightest bit hesitant as we walked into the classroom that first morning, but she quickly found her way to a couple of the activities and seemed right at home. There was no clinging, no tears, and she gave Elsa and me hugs and said goodbye with no problem.
Her classroom is super sweet, with everything on toddler level, including the sinks, mirrors, shelves, etc. Even the toilet is small and low to the ground, which Avie thinks is great. She is probably the oldest in her class (the toddler class goes up to three years, and the next level in Montessori starts at three years and goes until age six), and it shows. Many of the other children seem very young to me, and a couple only speak very few words at this point.
Because she did so well the first day, I left her the entire time the second day, and Elsa and I had a nice morning together, complete with a coffee/hot cocoa date and a haircut for Elsa.
Aveline has been in school about two-and-a-half weeks now, and just last week started saying she did not want to go to school. However, by the time we are there, she seems totally fine. And at pick up, it always seems clear to me that she has had a good time. So I am assuming it is just a phase, and a way of her testing me each morning at home, to see if I will give in to her wishes. Her teacher, Gabriela, said this is pretty typical in the second week, as the newness and excitement of the start of school wears off, and the children start to realize, "Hey—this must be the new normal, and I am not so sure about it yet!" So let's hope the excitement comes back again!
Elsa started school on Monday, August 25. She is going to Claxton Elementary School, about 0.75 miles from our house. If she did not have to be at school so stinking early in the morning (doors open at 7:20 a.m., and they have to be in their classrooms by 7:45 a.m., and school lets out at 2:15 p.m.), we would probably walk. As it is, I drive her to school and have been walking her into her classroom every morning. But then I pick her up by driving through the car line in the afternoon. Elsa was also extraordinarily excited about starting school. And about her clothes. And her shoes. And as much as I think she was excited about just starting kindergarten and seeing what it was all about, I think she was even more excited about the prospect of making some new friends (and to be able to invite them to her birthday party, of course). Thank the Lord, she immediately reported after school that first day that she had made four new little girl friends. She was so thrilled.
I have to admit my doubts with the public school system these days, especially after experiencing the warmth and care of the Waldorf way. I don't love that kindergartners are expected to go a full day. Or that they do not get much time outdoors. Or that they are pushed to learn sight words and perhaps even read by the end of the year. Or that they are tested. I wish they could just be kids. But, all that to say, Elsa is loving school. When I picked her up in the car line that first day (by far, one of my favorite times of the day now), and she hopped in, she declared that she "had the best first day!" And every day since she has only reported good things. She is learning new things. She is making new friends (her most favored thus far is named "Gabriella," of course). She has been to art class, and "gymnastics class" (I'm assuming p.e.), and music class. She has visited the school library and has checked out books. And they run three laps every day at the start of recess, from what I gather (this is probably so that children, like Elsa, who would prefer to engage in low-key imaginary play at recess will actually get some movement, so I think I appreciate the mandated running). She has been "line leader" and "door holder." I mean, these are exciting times here!
So I am happy for my girls, and wish them the best school years imaginable. I am so happy I get to go along for the ride with them in their adventures (which, by the way, I have been nominated co-room-parent for each girl's class... I guess I am emitting many "I-want-to-be-involved" vibes!).












No comments:
Post a Comment