In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Thursday, September 06, 2007

News Break

In an attempt to learn something about this crazy world we live in, and to sound somewhat intelligent during conversation, I typically listen to NPR on my drive into work in the morning. Jarrett and I had a few small arguments about this when we first started carpooling, as he doesn't seem bothered by the loud, obnoxious banter most morning radio shows have to offer. I, on the other hand, would prefer to not be yelled at that early in the day. NPR's hosts offer a much more soothing sound, and it's nice hearing both the news and the more entertaining segments. This morning, however, I departed from the routine. Jarrett and I drove separately this morning, as he had a company book club meeting this evening and I had my appointment at the chiropractor/kinesiologist (or the witchpractor, as some so fondly like to refer to her) -- and our office closed at 4:00 p.m. today in preparation for the big move over to the swing space (we'll be there for nine months, a year, whatever it takes, while our building is renovated). Anyway, I decided I didn't need to hear about Pavarotti's death (I caught that on Yahoo! early this morning) or about the war that never ends. No, I was going to skip that and go directly into the typical afternoon radio routine (at least when we're in the new car) -- satellite radio. Now I would never pay for radio -- even though I've decided I do love this concept -- but we received three free months when we bought the Passat. And we just discovered a new station -- Coffeehouse. It's on this station that you'll hear acoustic versions of songs recognized from fairly well-known artists, as well as those from singer-songwriters who remain relatively unknown. I love it -- especially when I'm half asleep and trying to wade into the morning. They play songs you would expect to hear played acoustically, say, by the Indigo Girls, John Mayer, and Jack Johnson, to rare acoustic renditions of songs by The Smashing Pumpkins and Green Day. I think I could become a regular at this coffeehouse.

No comments: