In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mommy-Tested, Kid-Approved


If you are looking for a healthy, yummy muffin recipe for your child (or yourself!), I highly recommend this recipe for mini banana apple bran muffins, adapted from a book I purchased not too long ago, The Petit Appetit Cookbook, by Lisa Barnes. I made them for the second time yesterday and realized that I actually made them incorrectly the first go around by mashing all three bananas and mixing them into the batter rather than mashing just one and slicing the others to place atop the batter once poured into the muffin cups. Regardless, they were tasty both times, and Elsa loves them.

Mini Banana Apple Bran Muffins
Makes 24 mini muffins or 12 regular muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oat bran
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3/4 cup applesauce
3 medium bananas, 1 mashed (about 1/2 cup) and 2 sliced
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (the recipe calls for light, but I only had dark on hand, and they turned out fine)
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 24 mini muffin cups or 12 regular muffin cups.

Combine flour, bran, baking soda, and salt in a small mixing bowl. Melt butter and combine with applesauce, mashed banana, sugar, and eggs in a large bowl. Add flour mixture to applesauce mixture and stir until just blended. The batter will be lumpy and very moist.

Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling two-thirds full. Place banana slice on top of each muffin. Bake for 12 minutes, or until golden brown and set. Cool muffins on a wire rack for five minutes before removing from pan.

This week, I also made the meatloaf, potato-carrot mash, and macaroni and cheese (with broccoli) out of this book, all of which were pretty good. The meatloaf was lacking a bit of flavor even though I used heaping amounts of the ingredients, but this was helped a bit by Jarrett pan searing individual slices and adding a bit of seasoning salt when he did so. Serving it with ketchup of course helped as well. The photo below is of Elsa's first taste of the meatloaf, and her first experience with ketchup. She ate more of it than I expected -- and she definitely had fun playing with the red dip.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I must second how good those muffins are- Christi shared four of them with me the last time and I ate all four in one sitting.
I think I'll have to make some and keep them by my bed for those times I wake up at 4am starving and can't get back to sleep but don't want to make the trek all the way into the kitchen (and therefore waking up Tim).

Christy said...

So funny - I have the same cookbook, have loved the same muffins, and did the exact same thing the first time I made them (mashing all the bananas). Actually, I thought they were so good that I've continued to make them that way. :-)