In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Need to Knead

My stepmother-in-law made some delicious bread while we were at her and my father-in-law's house during the holidays last year, and she was kind enough to send me the recipe some time back (Anadama Bread from the Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special cookbook). It took me awhile, but I finally got around to trying my hand at it this last Friday. I forgot how much fun it is to knead dough -- a great stress reliever. I also forgot how long the process takes, but I was able to get quite a lot done during the periods of rising and baking and, besides, the rewards are so wonderful. The smell of homemade bread baking in the oven and that first slice of warm yumminess, topped with some nice, melted butter is definitely worth all the time and effort. I don't think I mixed something as well as I should have, though, because there seemed to be some strange lumps in my freshly baked loaves. However, that didn't seem to affect the taste. I did happen upon this person's revision to the recipe... I don't know if it would be worth trying the next time around.


Elsa helped too. I look forward to when she can really help out and dig into the dough herself.


I also did some kneading of a different sort on Saturday afternoon. While Jarrett continued to help Tim on Tim and Kate's shed project, Kate came over and watched Elsa while I finally took advantage of the fabulous birthday present she gave me last year -- a gift certificate to our local pottery studio/gallery for a month's worth of lessons and studio time. This was my first experience throwing pottery, and I found the wheel to be somewhat intimidating at first, but I had two great instructors helping me out, and I was eventually able to find my groove. I still have much to learn, but had a really fun time trying it out. I made a coffee cup (minus the handle at this point) and a small bowl, but am not done -- next is the trimming stage, and then I guess it will be time to glaze them before they are fired in the kiln. I look forward to finishing these out and starting something new.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

what an awesome birthday gift! I'm putting it on my list for Christmas! There's a place right down the road from us... Can't wait to see the final products!

Alison LeBlanc said...

You have inspired me.

Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said...

I SO need to learn how to throw pottery... It's been on my "I'd love to..." list forever... didn't know there was someplace close I could learn. Yay!