In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

12 Weeks

I hit the 12-week mark in the pregnancy this past Saturday, and am already feeling some of my energy coming back. For awhile there I really felt the need for a nap nearly everyday, especially if I was intending at all to stay up past 8:30 or 9:00 at night. The need for napping has seemed less crucial in the last week or so, though I still found myself falling asleep on my parents' couch in the evenings while visiting them last week.

According to BabyCenter, the little one is about the size of a lime, at just over two inches long. Its reflexes are developing this week, and its fingers will soon begin to open and close, toes will curl, eye muscles will clench, and its mouth will make sucking movements. The baby's intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into its abdominal cavity about now, and its kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder. Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and synapses are forming furiously in the baby's brain. Its face looks unquestionably human; its eyes have moved from the sides to the front of its head, and its ears are right where they should be.

I swear I felt movement a couple of days in a row last week, though it seemed kind of early. And I have not really felt much since, so perhaps it was something else I was feeling.


Overall, things are going really well. I bought some cute new maternity clothes at an outlet over the weekend, so am feeling a little better about my "regular" pants fitting more tightly these days. A little.

No comments: