In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Elsa's First Tooth

Elsa will occasionally chomp down on me toward the end of a nursing session -- something I have been trying to break her of doing. Well, she did this Sunday afternoon and it felt like her bad habit had a bit more bite to it, so I felt her bottom gum with one of my fingers and, sure enough, one of her bottom teeth has broken through. I've only caught an actual glimpse of it a couple of times because it is fairly hard to see, and when you try to force it, she will usually put her tongue over her lower gum. But it is official -- Elsa has her first tooth!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

My friend who had a baby at the same time as you has had the same problem, and received advice from a lactation consultant. Here's what she posted on her blog:

"Since Aidan is biting with his bottom tooth at the end of the feeding, the lactation consultant said that I have to do two things:

1) Be vigilant about the feeding and take him off the breast before he totally finishes. Because...
2) Since he is biting the with bottom tooth, it means that he is not latched at the time. When he is latched, his tongue is between his tooth and my nipple. So, if I don't take him off in time and he does bite, I have to resist the desire to throw him off my lap and instead push his head into my breast. I tried to do that this morning. It works because it causes him to not be able to breathe through his nose, so he instantly stops biting so that he can open his mouth to breathe. But it is really hard to push in instead of pushing out. Eventually, they equate not being able to breathe with biting.

She did want to know if I bled - so I guess that is common. Luckily, no broken skin yet. I am feeding him soon. I will try out this vigilance thing."

Hope it helps! love, Jenny