In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Physical Update

I mentioned some time ago that I scheduled a physical with Dr. Owen for myself, mainly because of the weight loss I have been experiencing. Well, I went, and had my blood drawn for routine bloodwork and got a tetanus shot since my tetanus vaccination was extremely out of date. Dr. Owen also checked my reflexes and said that if the problem were hyperthyroidism, my reflexes would likely be more obviously overpronounced than they were, and I would probably be rather shaky. At the time, her immediate conclusion was: "You are simply eating skim milk and producing whole milk." So she gave me some ideas of ways I could change my diet and told me she should have the results of my bloodwork within a couple of weeks. Well, I just received the labs in the mail yesterday, and the only thing that was of concern to Dr. Owen was that my vitamin D level was really low. I had asked her at the appointment if she was going to check this, as Dr. J wanted her to, if possible, and Dr. Owen said that she always does. She told me that vitamin D deficiency is very common, and that she sees maybe two or three caucasians a year who have a normal vitamin D level. She said new medical studies are revealing that this is a serious problem, and that low vitamin D is associated with many major medical issues, including thinning bones, poor immune function, heart disease, emotional imbalances, and cancer risk. So she has recommended that I take a couple of supplements (one of higher dosage for a month and then switch to a lower dosage) and then go back in two months to have the level rechecked. So that is the plan for now -- that and eat all the good fats I want. Ice cream is good fat, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

confirmed. ice cream is the best good fat out there. cheesecake is a very close second. -jenny sims