In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Friday, September 13, 2013

May the World Know, Elsa is FIVE

Our firstborn turned five this past Saturday. Jarrett and I had a five-year rule when we got married, as in no children until we've been married at least five years. And somewhere in there we decided we also needed to make it to Europe. We did make it to Europe (where this blog first began). And it ended up being more like six-and-a-half years. But then we had her. And she was so worth the wait. And now? Now another five years has passed.

I read somewhere that the five-year mark is a big deal to a child. That they really want a celebration. So a celebration we had. I think I counted twenty-two children running around our house on Saturday afternoon (okay, I think at least one was actually small enough to be immobile, but still). We invited the entire crew from Elsa's playgroup, as well as some other neighborhood and church friends. It was a little crazy, but it was fun. For her and (after the stress of getting it all ready) for us as well. A huge thanks goes to my mom, who drove down here by herself and most greatly helped me in getting everything ready. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

At the beginning of a road trip, months ago now, Elsa made the birthday cake request (somewhat out of the blue, but I think they might have had a birthday celebration at playgroup that day) -- "a strawberry cake, shaped like a pig, with blue frosting, and an Ariel on top." I looked over at Jarrett, who was in the passenger seat, and just laughed. It was just crazy enough that I decided right then and there that I had to do it. And the request never waivered over the months. She still wanted that specific cake. So, a merpig party was born. And, as for the cake, this is what I came up with:




I think Elsa really enjoyed her birthday. She thanked me several times for both the cake and the party. I loved how she totally took in the singing of "Happy Birthday." She got way too many presents, probably consumed way too much sugar, and was way too overstimulated. But she was well celebrated. And you only turn five once, right?


Elsa with Chico.

Elsa, at the coloring table, with Stella, Belle, Addie, and Clara.





A blur of girls (or the floating amoeba, as Jarrett liked to call it). This was a common scene that afternoon.




Gabriela, the constant happy helper.






Elsa has been telling everyone that she is now five. My mom brought her some new clothes when she came down, and Elsa deemed them her "five-year-old clothes." The night of her birthday, she decided she could only wear five-year-old pajamas, and she now says she can only wear five-year-old clothes. I've had to explain to her that many of her clothes were already size five, and that you wear clothes based on whether they still fit you or not, not based on your age.

She also cannot wait to move to the top bunk once we are able to purchase another twin mattress for Aveline. And she has not forgotten that I told her she could have her toenails painted with me once she turned five.

At five, Elsa is proud. And loud. When she has something to say, she wants to make sure she is well heard. She can still be shy entering into new situations or when meeting new people, but even that has lessened. She loves to claim how fast she can run, how high she can climb, or how high she can jump.

She still loves books and being read to. And she loves music and singing and dancing. She is like her daddy in that she can recognize a song that might be playing as background music in a store or restaurant very easily -- something I often am just tuning out. After taking gymnastics this summer, that is another new found love, and she keeps begging for more. We had also mentioned the possibility of playing soccer at some point, and she keeps talking about "when she is going to play soccer," even though I've failed in signing her up for this fall (oops!)!

Elsa is still fairly sensitive. She copes much better when babies or other peers are upset and crying, but she still shows a lot of concern. She can be so sweet and loving and caring, and then very strong-willed and challenging.

She is our firstborn, she is my baby, she holds pieces of our hearts, and we love her. She is amazing. We thank God for her presence in our lives everyday.

I finally did an interview with her this year. This is something I wished I had started with her earlier, but it was fun to start the tradition this year, and she really enjoyed sitting and answering the questions. So, I will end with this.

The Five-Year Interview

1. What is your favorite color? Purple.
2. What is your favorite toy? My cheetah cub, Chico (from Avie, for her birthday this year).
3. What is your favorite stuffed animal? Chico.
4. What is your favorite thing to sleep with? My blankee.
5. What is your favorite fruit? Grapes.
6. What is your favorite cereal? Chex.
7. What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast? Oatmeal.
8. What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch? Ham and peanut butter toast (probably not together).
9. What is your favorite dessert? Popsicles, because I can suck the juice out.
10. What is your favorite drink? White grape juice.
11. What do you want to eat for your birthday dinner? Pasta.
12. What is your favorite animal? Pig.
13. What is your favorite book? Lift-the-flap books (Arthur on the Farm, specifically).
14. What is your favorite song? "Barges"
15. What is your favorite game? Trouble, because it was new for my birthday.
16. What is your favorite TV show? "Wild Kratts."
17. What is your favorite movie? The Little Mermaid.
18. What is your favorite thing to do outside? Play, play, play.
19. Who is your best friend? Stella, Clara, Addie, and Belle.
20. What do you want to be when you grow up? A mommy.

No comments: