Elsa's birthday celebration didn't end with her party. We celebrated at Gabriela's last Friday, and this year the expectation seems to be that a parent (typically the mother) stays at playgroup for the entire day. I have to admit that at first all I could think about was all of the stuff I could be getting done at home, given preparations for a consignment sale in the works, a cluttered/dirty house, Cradle&Thread work to do, and Aveline's upcoming birthday. However, I ended up thoroughly enjoying my time there with Gabriela, Jesse, and all of the children. Avie was able to attend the entire day too and, as one of the benefits of Jarrett being at home, he walked up for the actual birthday celebration, which started at noon.
While there, I made kale chips, and it was fun to have the children lend a hand here and there, and it was even more exciting to see even the pickiest of eaters ask for seconds of them! The little ones also helped in the preparation of granola (which they make every Friday, including hand-grinding the oats, which I love that they do) and Elsa's birthday cake.
Based on conversations Elsa and I had later that day, I am fairly certain she, at least periodically, forgot I was even there. It was a gorgeous day, and the children played outside quite a lot. It was fun for me to watch Elsa run around with her little friends, making up stories and adventures, discovering nature, and generally just being kids. There really is not enough good I can say about what Gabriela does for these little ones. I will certainly be sad when this -- Elsa's last -- year comes to an end.
The birthday celebration itself was as lovely as in the two previous years, when she turned three and then four. She most certainly new the routine this year, and relished in the attention. She chose Clara as her "angel," to walk hand in hand with at the beginning of the ceremony, and she lit all of the candles right on cue. Jarrett and I sat on either side of her at the head of the circle, and Avie switched from my lap to Jarrett's. It was, and always is, such a special time, and I have to admit that I had to hold back a few tears. (What am I going to be like when I have to drop this kid off at school next year?!?!)
Thank you, Gabriela, for celebrating our girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment