In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Sunday, March 04, 2007

An Inconvenient Truth

If you haven't yet seen An Inconvenient Truth, WATCH IT. Don't sit there at your computer staring at the computer screen for one more second (unless you're putting it in your Netflix queue, of course). Go out and rent it now. Watch it today.

Jarrett and I watched it not too long back (actually, I didn't finish it until today -- falling asleep during movies/television shows is a problem for me) and, though it scared the crap out of me in one sense, it is awesome to know that someone with political power actually cares about the Earth's dire situation and is trying to do something about it.

Okay, so I'll go ahead and admit that I voted for Bush over Gore back in 2000; don't blame me -- just pity my ignorance. I'm still rather ignorant -- I'll grant you that -- but I at least now have the desire to do some research and choose a candidate for the 2008 election that actually stands for more of what is important to me. So, Gore, when are you going to announce you're running -- huh, huh, huh? Yes, I've been to www.draftgore.com and, yes, I've signed the petition. Who knows if it will do any good, but I'm willing to give it a try. Now any of you who know me well at all know that I try to steer clear of political conversation, but I guess at the moment I just feel like pushing my opinions off on others. Topics such as global warming will do that to a girl. Sorry.

Back on topic... whether you are a believer of global warming or not, please at least give An Inconvenient Truth a chance. Yes, even I am taking everything Gore has to say with a grain of salt and trying to find the time to do more reading on both sides of the issue. But I still stand on the fact that it can't hurt us to be a bit more friendly to the environment. The truth is that we are emitting more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere than ever. We are consuming more energy. We are polluting. It couldn't hurt to clean things up, to conserve more.

That's it. I'll step off of my soapbox... for now at least. Just watch it.

No comments: