In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

We Bear Our Souls


My mom and I had a nice weekend together. Despite the fact that I had an Adobe InDesign class most of the day on Saturday, we still found a way to do quite a lot. We enjoyed our Mexican food on Friday night and went to a movie Saturday evening (with popcorn for dinner, of course). We saw Premonition, the movie with Sandra Bullock. It wasn't quite as cheesy as the last movie I saw with her in it (The Lake House) -- and, really, it had a decent amount of suspense, considering -- but it still had it's fair share of cheese-factor.

My mom seems to be dealing with Grandpa's death a bit better these days, though she really misses him. She knows he is in a better place, but obviously that doesn't make the loss seem any less devasting. We had a good cry together Saturday night -- I was okay until she gave me the card from his funeral and a newspaper cutout of the obituary. It was good to look at some photos with her and just talk some of it out. I think the trip down here may be a big step in her healing process.

Jarrett came home Sunday, so after my mom and I went to church, we picked him up from the airport and then enjoyed a delicious brunch at Watershed before my mom had to hit the road. Watershed is another fabulous Decatur restaurant, and comes with the honor of being owned by one of the Indigo Girls, Emily Sailers. If you're anywhere close to being a big an Indigo Girls fan as me (if that is even possible), you probably know that "Watershed" is the name of one of their songs on their Nomads, Indians, and Saints album. Anyway, the restaurant has really good food -- especially during the Sunday brunch and on Tuesdays, which is fried chicken night. They sell out every Tuesday.

Jarrett has been down at a coworker's forum the past couple of evenings, so I took advantage of being home alone again and had Alison, Shelly, and Jenny over last night to watch Little Women (the 1994 version with Winona Ryder, Kirsten Dunst, Claire Danes, Susan Sarandon and Christian Bale) and eat some MoJo pizza. We had a nice time chatting about things like Alison's pregnancy and roadkill (don't ask). Girl time is good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so cool that the song "Watershed" plays on the restaurant's Web site while you peruse the menu.

It's funny that you just watched "Little Women." I watched it weekend before last (I found it on sale at Target for $5). Have you read the book?

Christi said...

I have the copy of Little Women that my mom had growing up. I don't know that I have yet read it all the way through, though. I need to put that on my list of things to do.