In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Monday, June 28, 2010

Home

The flight back today was a little more interesting than it was going out -- in both good ways and bad. Good, because we got an awesome view of Yosemite Valley and the High Sierras and Mono Lake from the airplane, so it was a really nice way to say a final goodbye to our vacation. Bad, because just after we checked our baggage, we thought we had lost my driver's license somehow. I could not find it anywhere. But, good, because Jarrett thankfully glanced over at one of our bags sitting behind the counter, and noticed it, upside down and nestled in one of the folds of the bag. How it got there, I have no idea. But thank goodness Jarrett spied it. And then bad again because Elsa did not sleep at all during this flight and, thus, missed her nap entirely. I know I had reserved bulkhead seats again for the flight back, but I think they changed the type of plane on us since actually reserving our seats, which put us back one row from the bulkhead. This meant that I had to keep Elsa from kicking and pressing her feet on the woman's seat in front of us. This did not please Elsa. She still did fairly well considering there was no nap; she definitely could have been much worse.

Kate kindly picked us up from the airport in our car, and when we got home and Jarrett turned on the lights in the kitchen area, Elsa's first words out of her mouth were, "New lights!" Apparently she is still, even after three-and-a-half weeks of vacation, fixated on the fact that we have new lights in our eating area and above the bar area of the kitchen. Then she immediately ran over to Merckx's toybox, exclaimed, "Merckx's toys," and then proceeded to pull them all out, one by one. Next it was on to the kitchen drawers and cabinets. She has not missed a beat. Elsa slept terribly last night, so between that and no nap this afternoon, she went down without a peep (though late, considering the three-hour time change). I am hoping she sleeps soundly in her own bed tonight.

It is strange to be back here, sitting at the desktop computer and typing this. It is nice to be home, nice to be back in the house, nice to have Merckx around again. Jarrett has the day off tomorrow, and we both have appointments with the chiropractor and massage therapist to try to get our bodies back in line. I am looking forward to taking the day to ease back into things before Jarrett has to jump back into work on Wednesday.

And I sure am looking forward to sleeping in our own bed tonight. Sweet dreams, everyone.

No comments: