In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Sunday, June 06, 2010

WWDC

So it turns out that Apple's big annual developer convention (World Wide Developers Conference) is in town this week, so geeks have started swarming our hotel and the city at large. How fitting as I sit here typing this on my iPad, using an app that is helping us workaround the stupid Flash restriction that is affecting my use of Blogger. Thankfully it seems to be working fairly well. All hail those geeky developers.

For whatever reason we decided that WWDC applied to the rest of our day. It could mean any of the following:

1. We Walked, Damn Cable Car

2. Why Would Daughter Cry?

3. What Would Dinner Cost?

Can you tell we were a little annoyed with the cable cars... and a bit frustrated with our child... and completely flabbergasted with our grocery bill for the upcoming week? The cable cars are cool and all, and I am really glad we were able to ride one with Elsa from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf, as she really loved riding the "train," but between all of the standing in line, waiting on a crowded car for the thing to actually start moving, and then being dropped (in what was to us the middle of nowhere) because of cable problems -- and all this after buying an unlimited day pass and only getting one-and-not-even-a-half rides out of the deal -- left us to be about done with the experience.




YouTube Video


YouTube Video





Elsa was actually much better today than compared with yesterday. Jarrett did a pretty good job summing up the happenings yesterday, but what he failed to mention is that our daughter's behavior at Alcatraz drove me to drink a 23-ounce margarita at lunch (now to be fair, I ordered the 14-ounce, but for some reason the waiter brought me the larger size and said he would not charge me for it -- perhaps that says it all right there). This is what I looked like in prison. I am surprised they did not lock me up for good.




She sure was cute at lunch today, though.




As for the expenses, this city is robbing us blind. It is incredible how things add up around here. I realize this is all a part of being on vacation, but we can't seem to eat a meal for less than $40 even when we are trying (and this includes a breakfast at Denny's that we were sure was going to be cheap).

Really, though, we had a nice time exploring some today. Elsa even napped some in the backpack, which allowed Jarrett and I to spend some time looking at the ships at the National Park area of Fisherman's Wharf. We are getting in the National Parks before even getting to the big ones on our list -- this was our second in two days.

I think San Fran is a great city, and I think I could even spend several more days here, but I do think I would probably prefer to spend those days alone with Jarrett. It just honestly becomes difficult to navigate a big city, figure out all of the meals and snacks, and share a hotel room with a wee one (Jarrett and I are crouched down on the floor at the foot of the bed in a nearly dark room as I type this). Because of this, Jarrett and I are both so ready to hit the wilderness. Elsa should have some awesome big, open spaces to run around in, which she really needs, we will be eating food more according to our rules, and, most importantly, I think we are just looking forward to less congestion and hopefully a less stressful atmosphere.

Kings Canyon, we cannot wait to meet you tomorrow!

2 comments:

Alison LeBlanc said...

Love your alternate WWDCs! It sounds like you guys are doing a great job exploring the city with a little one. I think you already saw more than I did in almost a week without kids! The posts are great- thanks for keeping us updated!

Kate said...

That drink sounds so good! Can't wait to see your pictures of the parks!