In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Friday, August 19, 2011

Back to "School"

Elsa started back at Gabriela's this week, this "year" going on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, which is up one day from last "year." I think it has been good for Elsa to get back into it, despite her being hesitant each morning. And it has been wonderful for me. It is like my friend, Alison, said when we were walking up to the house to pick the kids up: "I did not realize how much I needed this!"

I started Monday out right with a massage and a chiropractic adjustment, and still got home with time to eat a quiet lunch and take a shower in peace. Then on Wednesday I canned old-fashioned strawberry preserves and strawberry jam (something that was on my pre-baby checklist). And yesterday I ran errands.

As for Elsa, I have stuck around at Gabriela's with her each morning to ease her into each day. She loves Gabriela, but for some reason acts embarrassed and timid each morning when we see her and Gabriela talks to her. Sometimes this results in some fun flailing in my arms, and sometimes even further Elsa-induced physical injury to me. But it seems to be getting better day by day, so I have hopes that next week will be even more positive. And it never fails that when I come back to pick her up, she never wants to leave. I think we were the last to leave each day this week (aside from the children who stay later because their parents work). It sounds like she has been eating fairly well while there and has had a good time observing the baby chickens, chopping fruit and vegetables, playing in the sandbox, and generally just running around and talking away.

Yesterday was especially encouraging. Gabriela had previously told me about a little girl named Willa, who lives in the neighborhood and was going to be coming to playgroup a couple of days a week. Willa turned three in May. Somehow Gabriela knew before they had even met one another that Elsa and Willa would be fast friends. And, indeed, that was true. Apparently within minutes of meeting each other yesterday, Elsa and Willa were playing together and having a fantastic time. When I arrived that afternoon, and Elsa finally noticed I was there, she shouted her usual "Mommy! It's my mommy!" And Willa looked up at us and said, "That is my friend!" And then Elsa said, "That is my friend, Willa!" I was able to sit there and witness Elsa playing with another little girl like I have never seen her do before. They seemed to be on the same wavelength, same energy level, and it was truly a beautiful sight for this mother, who was beginning to wonder if Elsa would ever really want to play with other children! She talked about Willa all the way home. I assured her repeatedly that they would see each other again next Thursday. I only wish they were together more than one day.

So, all in all, things have started out well. I am looking forward to observing Elsa blossom even more as the days go on.

I failed to snap any photos on any of the three days Elsa actually went to playgroup this week, mostly because it seems getting ready to go anywhere and then actually getting in the car is a challenge these days. So this morning I dressed Elsa in an outfit she might never even wear to Gabriela's and snapped some photos. Our friend, Natali, gave Elsa the little skirt quite some time ago -- cute, right? It is still a little big, but it seemed like a good back-to-school choice.



Love


"Cheese!"


3 comments:

Natalia said...

Cute! Natali has good taste. I thought she'd already outgrown it so I'm glad that I'm able to see her wear it. And I can't wait to see a pic of her and Willa.

Christy said...

Oh my goodness, I am so behind in my blog reading. Your girl has blossomed into such a lovely little lady! Oh my.

Amy + Michael said...

I love her "back to school" outfit! Really great pictures, Christi.