In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Thirty-Seven Weeks -- Full Term!

Me at 37-and-a-half weeks.
Baby Helms #2 is now considered full term, as of this past Saturday, even though my due date is three weeks away (two-and-a-half at this point). According to BabyCenter, if I go into labor now, her lungs will likely be mature enough to fully adjust to life outside the womb. The baby weighs six-and-one-third pounds and measures a bit over nineteen inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard). Many babies (like Elsa) have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from one-half inch to one-and-a-half inches long. But, as we already know, we should not be surprised if her hair is not the same color as ours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz.

The belly, as you can see, is quite large. I am barely fitting into my maternity clothes anymore, and am starting to really get the wide-eyed stares ("When are you due?!?") when I am out and about. I am still feeling pretty good, though, and have yet to experience the major ankle/foot swelling that occurred when I was pregnant with Elsa, so that is great.

Jarrett and I are getting more and more excited about the arrival of this little one. Will she look like Elsa? Will she look completely different? How big will she be? We cannot wait to find out all the ins and outs of our new little bundle.

5 comments:

vintch said...

oh christi! you are glowing! aaah. baby bumps are just the cutest things ever. baby #2 is going to come out looking like a pure doll, no matter what!

Natalia said...

You ARE glowing! Those good pregnancy hormones are just jumping out of the screen.

Jillian said...

You look fabulous! It seems so surreal to me still since we haven't seen you this pregnancy. So thankful for blogs so that we can still feel connected to ya'll in some small way. No doubt you will all be blessed by your sweet little one on the way!

Amy + Michael said...

She is almost ready to meet you! I'm excited for all of you as you gear up for this next new phase of your lives. And you do look great! :)

Anonymous said...

Sis i cant wait to buy WakeForest clothes for this baby as well