Because Elsa has had trouble napping lately, even with the addition of the Tot Clock (I think I totally jinxed myself by talking of its wonders here on the blog, though it still works pretty well for nighttime sleep), I decided to try to implement "rest time" this week rather than "nap time." I borrowed a baby gate from a friend and set it up in her doorway, leaving the actual door open. I told Elsa she could read books or lay in bed, but that she needed to stay in her room during quiet time. I said that quiet time would end once her clock turned yellow again.
I heard her reading to herself and playing around for quite awhile, as I was busy doing something in another room, and then finally it seemed quiet. So I walked quietly to her doorway, peeked in, and this is what I saw:
She has taken to unplugging her clock (which I am not too fond about), and apparently decided on this particular afternoon it would be a nice sleeping companion. Of course, then I ruined everything by trying to swipe all of the hair out of her face. She started stirring, I quickly left the room, but I think it was too late. She woke up, barely sleeping long at all.
And, really, quiet time has not worked that well since. She does not like the gate. I am not sure why since she seemed fine with it that first day. Nonetheless, there is a protest, and she just does not choose to go to sleep, but decides to read some... and then commit chaos to her room. Yesterday the blinds were all in disarray, which did not make me too happy.
She clearly needs more sleep. And I knew she really needed sleep today since she has not napped in days and did not fall asleep until at least 8:30 p.m. last night, but woke this morning at 6:45 a.m. So this afternoon, after going to the pool this morning, I laid down with her and she was asleep within ten minutes.
::sigh::

1 comment:
This is a step in the right direction though!
Post a Comment