In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Our Weekend Getaway

My parents made their way down to our house on Friday evening, with the seven-page Elsa Instruction Manual I e-mailed to them earlier in the week in hand, ready to take care of our little one while Jarrett and I made an escape to the North Georgia mountains this past weekend. Yes, I really did type up seven whole pages describing the schedule, quirks, and ins and outs of sweet little Elsa. And, yes, my parents actually read it, the dear souls they are. I am sure they didn't need a page of it, but it at least made me feel a bit more at ease about leaving my baby behind for the first time.

Jarrett and I did not head out until Saturday morning, but we relinquished our master suite early so my parents could stay in our room for their entire stay. It was Friday night that I learned just how terrible the mattress on our sofa bed really is (a sincere apology to all of our overnight guests!). The terrible bed combined with Elsa waking up in the middle of the night combined with a busy mind made for a terrible night's sleep. I was definitely awake much longer than I was ever asleep. Nonetheless, I was happy to see the sunshine, get ready, pack up the car, and hit the road. My parents decided to head over to the park with Elsa just as we were leaving, which made for a fairly easy exit. We said our goodbyes, and as I got in the car I took a deep breath and reassured myself that Elsa was in capable hands and was going to be just fine.

We ate breakfast in Decatur at a small table for two and no highchair in sight, and then headed north to Tallulah Gorge State Park. The weather was gorgeous, making the perfect day for a hike. We (meaning Jarrett) had done our research online and figured that the gorge's valley floor hike would probably be a decent training circuit for Yosemite, so we packed the day pack we are planning to carry on the trails in June to try to somewhat get the feel of what lies ahead. You have to get a permit to access the valley floor (100 are issued per day), and we learned upon arrival that this is no joke. The park ranger at the desk in the interpretive center was telling us that if you are caught without a permit, they will arrest you and you will be fined. So we dutifully filled out the paperwork while the ranger went over the general trail route with us. Part of the route was closed off because too many people were getting hurt, so basically we were to hike down a set of about 300+ stairs to a suspension bridge, cross the bridge, and then go down another 200+ stairs to a platform.

 

  

 

On that platform is a gate that gives you access to the valley floor. Once through the gate, a river crossing is in store, and the ranger told me that a leap from rock to rock was definitely involved. He said it like it was no big deal, though, so I, of course, thought it would be no big deal. Heh. The stairs weren't a huge problem coming down, though I could feel the strain a bit on the knees (thank goodness for working out lately), and the suspension bridge was cool, but the river crossing proved to be somewhat problematic. We made it across a number of rocks fine, but then came to this:


As photos tend to do, this really plays down the leap involved here (from the section to the right of Jarrett's hat to the rock coming out from the right-hand side of the photo). I would say it was a four-to-five-foot jump from one rock to the other, and the rock we were to land on was really sloped and, thus, likely quite difficult to land on with out sliding right off. The water wasn't incredibly deep right in that area, but it was really cold, and we didn't really want to risk getting ourselves and everything in our pack completely drenched. We stood there for some time trying to figure out if there was another route we could attempt or if we should turn around. We even sat on the rock and ate our energy bar lunch before finally deciding that if we took our boots and shoes off, we could walk across another section without too much submersion in the freezing water. So that we did, and we made it across just fine.

 

  

  

 


The fact that this was called a "trail" is a bit of a joke. I felt like I was bouldering and creating my own trail most of the time we were at the bottom of the gorge. The sights were beautiful, but it is no wonder people get injured and that deaths could occur. Sometimes I think the warning signs at the beginning of trails are somewhat of a joke, but the signs warning you about this were not. There were a couple of crossings where we had to make it across sloping granite faces that were slippery enough in a dry state that you surely did not want any water on your boots for fear that you were going to slide right into the water and then right over the falls. Now you might remember my mention of both Jarrett's and my fear of heights during our trip to France/Italy back in 2006 when I started this blog. We have both -- Jarrett especially -- come a long way since then, but there was one section of one of these granite slopes that caused both of us to freeze for a moment. We took it slow, though, and were fine, but there is sure as heck no way we will be doing the valley floor with Elsa on our backs. The good thing about Yosemite is that there shouldn't be many river crossings or hiking so close to bodies of water that you fear sliding in. Some of the trails will be narrow or rough or even slippery, but not usually all combined.

 

  

 


We didn't actually make it to the turnaround point because it was getting late enough that we wanted to get back out and go check into our room and settle in before heading back out to dinner. We got close, though. And I thought once we got back over the slippery granite areas that everything would be fine. Well, we got back to the river crossing and took off our boots and socks to again go through the water, but coming at it all from the other direction (mixed with the fact that I was a little shaky at this point and was carrying the pack) proved to be a little disorienting. Jarrett went first and made it fine, but I was having trouble getting the trekking poles in a place where I felt comfortable making the initial leap into the water without sliding right in. So I ditched the idea of using the poles and just went ahead and grabbed onto Jarrett's arm. That first crossing in the water went fine. So on went the the boots and socks. The next leap was nuts. We did it fine coming, but returning was a whole different story. I should have just kept the boots and socks off and waded through again, but Jarrett made the leap, so I figured I would be able to as well, using his arm again to steady me. Nope. I almost made it, but my foot slipped, and in I went. Jarrett then about slid right in with me, but somehow steadied himself. The water came up to about thigh-height, so the pack was saved, but the bottom half of me was soaked and cold. There was nothing to do, though, but ring out the socks, hand the pack back over to Jarrett, and walk back up the 500+ stairs. Once I was moving, it really wasn't that bad, and by the time I was to the top, I was still wet, but it at least wasn't as obvious to others.

On we went just about twenty minutes further to the Lake Rabun Hotel, which is on, as the name clearly suggests, Lake Rabun, the lake we have visited on a couple of occasions with friends from church. The exterior and lobby area of the hotel were just as rustic and charming as they appear on their Web site. When we checked in, the hotel manager said that one of their premium rooms had become available, which we had actually been hoping for, so we jumped on it and ended up staying in the Garden Room for the two nights we were there. We left the hotel Monday deciding that we would definitely recommend the place to others, but with just a few reservations. The rooms are tiny, and this is because the hotel was originally built in 1922 and just recently restored by a preservationist from the bottom up. During the restoration, private baths were added to all of the rooms, obviously requiring space to come out of somewhere. The walls are also really thin. I realized just how thin they actually were on Saturday night when I could hear our neighbors using the bathroom in the middle of the night, and then on Sunday morning when I could hear them taking showers and then even clearly hear the wife call to her husband, "David, will you bring me a towel?" So it is quaint and cozy, and you just have to put up with what comes along with that.

 

  

  

  

  

  

  

  



 

 

We had reservations for a wine-paired dinner at Beechwood Inn, which was about 15 minutes from where we were staying. We left early so we could stop by the trusty local Walmart because (1) I realized I left my makeup bag at home (which normally would not be a huge issue for me because I don't normally wear that much makeup anyway, but because we were going to a nice dinner I was finding myself having somewhat of a breakdown over not having any makeup at all) and thought I would pick up just a couple of items to make me feel not so self-conscious and (2) we found out that the restaurant and bar at the Lake Rabun Hotel was going to be closed on Sunday (which is where we thought we were going to eat dinner on Sunday, as it said on their Web site that they were going to be open), so we thought we would pick up some wine. I was making my one allotted phone call home as we pulled into the Walmart parking lot and had no idea that Jarrett was rummaging around in the trunk to get the spare tire until I got out of the car and realized he was trying to jack up the car because of a flat! I should mention that right after we stopped for gas about 20 or 30 minutes from Tallulah Gorge, a warning light came on regarding the tire pressure. We just thought it was a coincidence (and annoyance) that the car decide the tires needed some air right after we left the station, not even taking into consideration that we might have a flat. The car was not pulling one way or another and we were not feeling the sort of roughness you might feel when driving on a flat. So, anyway, here Jarrett was trying to change a tire while in dress clothes. He was successful. And we were also successful in acquiring some makeup and wine.

After some roundaboutness caused by our beloved GPS, we made it to the Beechwood Inn just in time for their "wine-thirty." We met the innkeepers and the two other couples who were joining us for dinner, and enjoyed a lovely glass of Rose Cava. Dinner was absolutely fabulous -- a Sante Fe themed meal, with most courses paired with wine that turned out to be much better than I even expected. I could go on and on about each course, but I think I have already gone on and on enough. At least for now, you can read about it on their Web site, although I noticed they made a change on the first course. We actually had homemade chorizo empanadas with a cilantro pesto, which ended up to be our favorite course of the night -- so I am glad they made the change! We had a lot of fun getting to know the other two couples, especially the jovial and sarcastic Hill and his lovely wife. We were all sitting at separate tables, but it still ended up being kind of a communal dinner.

After dinner we were able to take a peek into several of their rooms, as the girl-half of the other couple was writing an article for some online Atlanta publication (wish I could remember the name now!) and was offered a little tour, so we just tagged along. We had considered staying at the Beechwood Inn when we were looking for a place to stay, but opted for the less-expensive option in the end, knowing we still wanted to do the dinner at Beechwood. After seeing the rooms at Beechwood, I think it will be worth the extra money to stay there sometime in the future. I think each inn has their pros and cons, but I would like to give Beechwood a try sometime.

On Sunday, aside from going downstairs for breakfast, we spent a very lazy morning in our room, reading, knitting (I did anyway), fading in and out of sleep -- it was wonderful. I love my daughter to pieces, but it was so nice not to have to worry about taking care of her and to just be able to spend time lazing around with Jarrett. Around noon we decided to emerge from our room, just in time to randomly run into a couple who goes to our church. They were just up looking at the hotel because one of their sisters was planning to be married there. We then headed out to grab some lunch, and after much indecisiveness as to where to go, we ended up at The Dillard House for their family-style Southern meal. It was kind of scary how much food they dumped onto our table for just the two of us to eat, and we felt really bad about how much food we wasted, but what we did eat was pretty good -- especially, surprisingly, the fried okra.

We then went on a drive to do a drive-by of the restaurant our innkeeper recommended to us for dinner that evening. It really was a drive -- 30 minutes south of Lake Rabun -- but it was a pretty, so it was nice to just enjoy the scenery, good conversation, and some tunes. By the time we got back to the hotel, it was clear we were alone. There were no other cars in the parking lot and it was very quiet. We spent some time down in the lobby next to the fire and then got ready to go to dinner at The Attic. The meal was nice, and we splurged and got the most delicious brownie sundae I have ever tasted. Yum.

Once back from dinner, it was still clear we had the place to ourselves -- and we did the remainder of the night. We had to reach over the bar to grab a couple of wine glasses and a waiter's friend so we could open and enjoy the wine we purchased earlier. We just cozied up to the fire in the lobby and chatted the night away. It was awesome. I can't say enough good things about the Lake Rabun Hotel when you are lucky enough to basically own the place!

 

  

  

  

 


On Monday morning, we headed home. I called my parents on the way and told them to just go ahead and keep Elsa up from her nap until we got there so she could see us arrive and say goodbye to them. She did her usual and started crying as she looked through the window and saw me emerge from the car in the driveway (she does this often when I pick her up from childcare at the gym and at church). I think this must partly be because she doesn't quite know how to express herself, as when we met on the porch it was like she couldn't decide whether to laugh or cry -- she was doing both simultaneously. It was precious nonetheless, and we were all happy to see one another. Elsa did not want to let me out of her sight -- or touch -- for quite awhile. She was even petting my shoulder at one point and then laying her head down... very sweet.

It sounds like my parents and Elsa had a great time together even though Elsa was still fighting her cold. They took her to get her very first Happy Meal (photos to come soon), went to the park, went for walks, etc. Elsa woke up a couple of times each night, but my mom insists she actually enjoyed rocking her in the middle of the night.

Overall, I think the weekend was great for everyone. Jarrett and I were able to spend time solely with each other, Elsa was able to spend quality time with her grandparents (and vice versa), and we were all able to realize that we all really can survive without one another two nights, at the least.

2 comments:

Alison LeBlanc said...

What a gorgeous (but intense) trail. It sounds like you had the perfect getaway...I am daydreaming about my first child-less getaway right now.

And I have got to hear more about this seven page document!!!

Bill said...

Christi, I really enjoyed your article on the weekend. It sounds like a perfect get away. Susan and I enjoyed visiting the gorge last year when we stayed in Helen and it was impressive. I am glad that you both had such a good time.

Dad