In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Elsa is Twenty-Two Months





 Today marks Elsa's twenty-two-month birthday. Since we have been back from vacation, everyone we run into comments on how much taller and/or older she seems, and how much longer her hair has gotten. Jarrett and I realized recently, after looking through some old (and some not so old!) photos, that those chubby cheeks are definitely of days past. She is looking taller and more like a little girl these days. And just seeing her do things lately, such as splash around in the pool and run around the park really makes me realize that those baby days are gone. She is certainly a toddler, and, according to a Gerber mailing we received yesterday, a preschooler, which just sounds crazy.

She will start the children's program at Ms. Gabriela's toward the end of the month next month, which will be a big change, and one that I have to admit that I'm entering with a little hesitation and worry. I love Ms. Gabriela's, as I think I made apparent in a post about our visit there back in February. I am more worried about how Elsa will handle it, especially since today I was not on the stair machine for more than five minutes before I was called into the childcare room, finding Elsa sobbing hysterically over her snack. Of course, once I was there, she wanted to climb up and slide down the slide and run around and play. I know it will just take time, and I hope to ease her back into the idea by getting her to the gym more now. My friend, Alison, also asked me yesterday if I was planning to take Elsa to Ms. Gabriela's at all over the summer. Even though I had received an e-mail from Gabriela about this possibility, I have to admit that I never really gave it much thought. Perhaps it is something to consider so that Elsa will be more used to it when she goes two times per week in the fall. I am excited about the thought of having two mornings a week free to do whatever I want, but at the same time it seems impossible to let Elsa go. She will be fine, I know. And she will have fun learning and exploring new things with all the new little friends she will hopefully make. I mean, really, if I am feeling this way now, what am I going to feel like when I send Elsa off to kindergarten -- or first grade!

Elsa is really into repeating what we say now, and it is even more evident that she listens to everything we say. The other day I was on the phone with my mom and mentioned a parking sticker that is on our car. Elsa was in another room, and came running into me, requesting a sticker to stick on her shirt. She is saying (or at least attempting to say) things like "Neosporin" and "ointment" and "cotton balls." Some fun words she learned on our trip were "bear box," "trunk," "bark," "medicine," "dafroom" (for "bathroom"), and "waterfall." Other cute things she started saying while we were away were:

"It's okay..." (soothing herself while crying about something)
"What's wrong, Sweet Pea?" (asking herself what is wrong, also while crying)
"Back to the van." (every time we were headed back to the camper van)
"Oh boy!" (something both Jarrett and I say quite a bit when sharing excitement with her)
"Elsa's special bed." (referring to where she sleeps)
"Hey Sweet Pea." (something we say to her, but now something she comes up and says to us; she also seems to say it when she is nervous or unsure about something)
"Touch a tree." (she wanted to touch as many trees as possible while we were hiking)
"Take temperature." (ever since the ear infection in Yosemite, she says this when she sees a thermometer)

And I am certain I am leaving many cute Elsa-isms out (I need to start writing them down!), as new ones seem to take stage every week.

As all moms of toddlers know, it is a tiring job, but at least we are rewarded with how fun it can be. Even though she can touch nerves that make me want to fly off the handle, she can also make me laugh hysterically and cry over her sweetness. The other night as we were finishing up dinner, she asked for music. We asked her if she wanted to listen to The Wiggles CD (the one we purchased while out in California, and the only music we listened to the entire time while driving in the van [since we were originally expecting to be able to use our iPod]). We started playing the music, and we asked her if she remembered listening to this on our trip. We asked her if she remembered the van. You could see in her eyes that she was trying really hard to process all of the information, and then suddenly those little lips turned into a pout and she slowly started to tear up and cry. We don't know if she missed the van, was sad that we weren't camping anymore, or was just overwhelmed by all of our questions. But we asked her if she wanted to go back to the van, and she said, "okay." And we asked her if she wanted to go camping again, and she again said, "okay." It was so sweet and I think about had Jarrett and I in tears again over the thought that the trip was over.

What amazing creations our little children prove to be over and over again.

1 comment:

Alison LeBlanc said...

Love the Elsa-isms! It does sound like it will be a difficult transition to Gabriela's. Of course, I have been there, too. Hopefully Gabriela will be able to work some magic with Elsa.