In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

More Summer Fun

Yesterday, Elsa and I made an afternoon trip to Return to Eden and scored some decent gluten-free finds. The best part, though? Their awesome car carts. Seriously, though, they are probably the best I have ever seen, which is why I decided to give it a go with Elsa for the first time. She loved "driving" through the store and was very reluctant to get out.



This morning we met Alison, Jude, Kate, and James at the zoo. We are now officially members of the zoo now too, thanks to an awesome birthday gift, so now we will be able to enjoy going as much as we'd like. Today was hot, especially as morning turned toward noon, but we still had a great time. We were privileged enough to be right beside the new tiger and sun bear exhibit just as the tiger was released into her habitat. She did not take much time to ease in, and immediately walked right over to the window where we were all standing. What a beautiful creature -- and how cool to see her up close and personal.

When I asked Elsa this morning if she would like to go to the zoo, she got excited and said, "see pigs!" Thankfully there are actually pigs at our zoo, and they were actually out in the petting zoo, which they have not been in times past, so she was even able to pet them.




As soon as Elsa was in hearing distance of the toot of the train, all we heard was "ride train, ride train." So, of course, ride the train we did. Once on it, though, she showed a bit of hesitation again, especially in going through the tunnels. Just look at the wide eyes in this video clip. By the end, of course, she was having a grand time and then wanted to ride again. Instead we rode the carousel. She was excited about this too, until I actually went to seat her on the panda bear. She started crying a little, but once the ride was going, and she saw James and Jude having fun, she was smiling and having a good time.





I let Elsa walk around the zoo a lot on her own today, and she actually did a decent job in following us adults and strollers. And I think allowing her to do so sufficiently wore her out, as she threatened to fall asleep in the car, but fell asleep within minutes of lying down in her crib, which is nice after a no-nap day yesterday!

No comments: