In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Sunday, June 05, 2011

Twenty-Six Weeks

Here I am in the final weeks of the second trimester of this pregnancy -- I am twenty-six weeks as of yesterday. According to BabyCenter, the network of nerves in the baby's ears is better developed and more sensitive than before, and she may now be able to hear both my and Jarrett's voice as we chat with each other. She is inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid, which is essential for the development of her lungs. These so-called breathing movements are also good practice for when she is born and takes that first gulp of air. And she is also continuing to put on baby fat. Baby Helms now weighs about a pound and two-thirds, and measures fourteen inches (an English hothouse cucumber) from head to heel.

Mother Nature has decided to bring on the hot temperatures in Atlanta without hesitation here of late, and we have experienced highs in the 90s for days now. I would certainly not have minded a few more spring-like weeks (temperatures in the mid-70s would be lovely), but so far I have been handling it pretty well. I have started punching down the thermostat an extra degree at night for better sleeping, but other than that have been doing okay. It also helps that the City of Decatur pools opened over Memorial Day weekend, so I purchased a family pool pass early last week (since Elsa has to officially pay as a two-year-old), and Elsa and I have already been across the street to McKoy Pool a couple of times to cool off. She loves it, and it feels nice for me to get in the water as well. I just hope the swollen ankles decided to hold off for awhile longer. Those I can do without.

No comments: