In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Friday, June 10, 2011

Waterbirth Class

Last night, Jarrett and I attended the waterbirth class at Atlanta Medical Center. According to Margaret at an appointment a few months ago, she said if I had the certificate of completion from when we took the class when I was pregnant with Elsa, that was likely all we would need. I did actually find the first certificate (amazing), but there was a feeling in my gut that told me that since this is a different hospital (even though they are both in the Tenet system), and since they were actually requiring payment for this class (which neither Jarrett nor I remember from the last class), we should go ahead and just take the class again. And I am glad we did.

Not only did we run into two couples who we know from the two previous churches we have attended (all sister churches), we also learned a couple of things. One is that if you are expected to birth a nine-pound or larger baby, they really do not want you in the tub. This worries me just a little since Elsa was 8 pounds, 9.6 ounces, and I have heard that subsequent babies can lean toward the bigger side. And I was 11 pounds when I was born, so if there is any sort of genetic connection with birth weight, there is certainly the possibility of having a 9-pound-plus baby. But they also said that if you have proved you have a pelvis that can birth bigger babies, they might let you give it a try. Maybe Elsa was close enough to nine pounds? We also learned that once you actually get into the tub, the nurse who is with you is with you until that baby is born. I guess this is maybe what happened when Elsa was born, and how we lucked out with that fantastic nurse being by my side nearly the entire time (although she had actually reached the end of her shift and still stayed with me). Anyway, it is nice to know this fact.

The list of what to bring remains pretty much the same, though they do not seemed concerned at all about the antibacterial soap and doing the whole scrub-down thing before getting into the tub. So minus that, they say to bring the following:
  • Kid-sized swim rings and/or inflatable raft and/or bath pillow (to float arms and legs in or rest head, etc.
  • Swim trunks for Dad (if there is any possibility that he will want to get into the tub)
  • Aquarium fish net (to scoop out of the tub any possible organic matter... lovely, I know)
There were many first-time parents in the class, but also a few couples who were on their second, third, or even later pregnancies. Of those who already had children, there were several women who had experienced births in multiple ways -- with an epidural, naturally, with IV pain killers. But I was the only one in the class who had actually experienced both laboring and birthing in the tub. So it was kind of nice to be the one who was able to say, "I've done it. It was awesome (though I have nothing to compare it to). And I want to do it again."

The nurses who led the class also took us up to a labor and delivery room so we could see one of the tubs set up. This was the second time Jarrett and I had seen the rooms, and this one even seemed smaller. But it doesn't really matter. The tub fits in the room with the bed, there is a nice shower in the bathroom, and still a little room to walk around. Besides, the view of Downtown Atlanta is pretty impressive too. The inflatable tub is actually bigger than I remembered it. One of the nurses (who is an average-sized woman) got in, and the side of the pool was above her head. So I think it will work out great.

One of the techs walked by the room we were all gathered in and ended up bringing all us expectant moms a little gift box. I later found it to be sponsored by Huggies and Target, and it included ten newborn-sized diapers (the package seems so tiny!), a disposable changing pad, and a small, hard-sided pack of wipes. Oh, and some coupons, of course. Some good essentials for the diaper bag. And much better than free formula, which I remember receiving (and never ended up using -- should have donated it!) when I was pregnant with Elsa.

So I now have an updated certificate of completion to take with me to the hospital on the big day, which makes us feel much more comfortable, as without a certificate, there is no waterbirth.

3 comments:

Alison LeBlanc said...

Wow, it's getting close!

Christina R said...

Let's hope for a petite little girl for you too!! Thanks for your story about your own super sized birth, so encouraging to me when I get freaked out.

Amy + Michael said...

Excited for you! :)