In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Visits with the Johnsons

My mom and dad made it down here last weekend, and we had a great time with them. They arrived Friday evening, and we had enchiladas verdes and guacamole at the house, which were both very yummy. Then we had the opportunity to bore them with the slideshow from our trip out to California, though, really, with Jarrett's fabulous narrative skills, who can be bored?

On Saturday morning I cooked breakfast for us all, and then my mom and I and another friend of mine all went out to get pedicures and lunch together while the guys stayed at home, chit-chatting over "tea" and "cooking" in the play kitchen with the little girls. It was so nice to get away for a little while, and of course the pampering of the pedicure was wonderful.


My parents were kind enough to allow Jarrett and I to escape while Elsa was down for her nap on Saturday afternoon. We got all dressed up and went to the High Museum of Art for a members-only preview of the new Dali exhibit. If you get a chance to go see the exhibit, I highly recommend that you do. I was not so sure I would be that into it since it his mostly his late work and I am more familiar with his earlier pieces, but it was really fantastic. We closed the museum down after being there for nearly two hours, and were actually rushed through the last room. And, if you go, I also recommend doling out the extra cash for the audio tour. It is money well spent. After our museum visit -- and after waiting for a downpour to let up so we could walk back to our car -- we headed to 4th & Swift for an early dinner. I would have to say that this second visit to the restaurant did not wow us nearly as much as our first experience, but we still thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Next we were on to Krog Bar. Neither of us were aware that the bar was so wine-focused, but we were pleasantly surprised. It was nearly empty when we arrived, but it did not take long for it to fill up completely, and the space and the vibe (and the wine!) were really great... until I got excited with my conversation and spilled my wine. Thankfully the glass was not very full, and no harm was done except for a few drops on Jarrett's clothes. We finished off the night with a nightcap and fun at the house of some friends. It was a lovely evening all around. And it sounded like Elsa had much fun with her Grandma and Grandpa. So much fun, in fact, that they were the first people she asked for when I went into her room Sunday morning. (Thank you, Mom and Dad!)

On Sunday morning we went out for brunch and made what is now a nearly mandated visit to our local Ace Hardware store (my dad absolutely loves the place -- but, really, so do I), but otherwise laid pretty low. My parents hit the road shortly before Elsa's nap.



Yesterday Elsa was able to see her Uncle Billy for just a short period of time, but we were so glad he was able to stop by in between his visits to Stone Mountain and a Braves game. Elsa woke up from her nap shortly after he arrived and it took her a little while to wake up and warm up to him, but once she did, she was having much fun with her crazy uncle.

1 comment:

Amy + Michael said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun with your family, Christi! Is that an Oregon Ducks shirt your mom is wearing? Very cool. :)