In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Potty Party

Elsa's potty party took place yesterday afternoon, complete with a chocolate cake and balloons (all decked out in purple, of course), as promised. I have to admit that yesterday was a pretty terrible day -- Elsa was being difficult and also pooped in her pants twice; Aveline was being more fussy than normal, perhaps because of the vaccination she received the day before; and I was just generally having trouble coping as a mommy. So tears were shed to Jarrett over the phone just as the first potty party guests were arriving. Then, composure. And, then, kiddie chaos among Elsa and five of her little friends.

We had fun, though, and the cake was enjoyed by all the little ones (though Elsa really just picked at the frosting and ended up eating very little at all). And Elsa is still enjoying her balloons.

She has the peeing down pat now, but has regressed some with the pooping. I am really trying to stay positive, but it is tough, especially when it is obvious she knows when she is going. It is really frustrating for me mostly because I cannot really figure out why she is fine with peeing on the potty, but not so much with the other. I have heard that sometimes kids feel like they are throwing away a part of themselves when they flush it down the toilet, but I am not getting the sense from her that this is the issue. I think another potty chart may be in order, but this time stickers are only earned for pooping in the potty. Hopefully over a little more time, she will be accident free.

For now, though, we are super proud with the accomplishments she has made in such order. Go, Elsa!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to go Elsa!!!! maybe when she comes to visit next i wont have her asking me to change her diapers lol

Natalia said...

I think if you just remain calm (ha! waaaaaay easier said than done - aim for pretend calm) and consistent she is bound to start pooping in the potty soon. The chart only for poops is a good idea :)